How to Apply
Individuals interested in attending the Intensive English Program must have completed secondary school and be able to provide proof of sufficient funds to support their study.
In order to apply, it is necessary to send the following materials:
- A completed and signed USM ESOL Program Application Form
- Declaration of Finances Form with certified financial documents showing sufficient funds to cover the program of study at the USM ESOL Program.
Please Note: The Application Form and Declaration of Finances Form are provided in PDF format and are designed to be printed and submitted by mail. To read these files, you must have Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on your computer. If you do not have this free software on your computer and would like to download it now, visit the Adobe Acrobat Web site.
- a sponsor's original, notarized affidavit of support (if applicable)
- nonrefundable application fee of $40 (US) and tuition deposit of $150 (US) made payable to the University of Southern Maine (total of $190 US)
- Admission to the IELP does not guarantee admission to USM for academic study. Any applications for a degree program must be done through the Office of Admissions.
- Students are required to have or purchase medical insurance.
- Students born after 1956 must show proof of immunity to measles, mumps, rubella, tetanus, and diphtheria.
- Upon receipt of completed application, Declaration of Finances, and a check made payable to the University of Southern Maine for $190 (US), the Office of International Programs will issue an INS I-20 Certificate of Eligibility which needs to be presented to a US Visa Office to obtain an F1 student visa.
- Signed applications can be faxed. Certification of Finances can be faxed to speed up the procedure, but an original copy must be mailed. Postal money orders cannot be accepted.
Spring: October 11
Summer: May 1
Fall: June 15