Thinking About Graduate School?
Thank you for your interest in graduate study at USM. Located in Portland, Gorham, and Lewiston, Maine, and one of 220 best northeast colleges recommended by the Princeton Review, USM offers a wide array of masters and several doctoral programs. USM also makes it easy for individuals to enhance their degrees with a number of graduate certificates and certificates of advanced study. For a complete list of programs, please see the list of Graduate Academic Programs.
GENERAL APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS
Admission to USM's graduate programs is competitive. Specific admission requirements vary by program. However, in general, admission committees evaluate candidates based upon:
- The nature of his/her undergraduate program.
- Standardized test scores.
- Quality of recommendations.
- Professional and life experiences
Application Materials Required for Degree Programs
A complete application consists of:
- Electronic application submitted online.
- Application fee of $65.00 paid online.
- Two sets of official transcripts from all colleges or universities attended, excluding the seven campuses of the University of Maine system.
- Standardized test scores.Official copies of standardized test scores often take four weeks or longer to arrive from the testing agency. Please plan accordingly. USM's school codes for submitting official reports of your standardized test scores directly to our office are:
- 3691 for computer-based GRE, GMAT, or Praxis test scores. 03691 for paper-based GRE, GMAT, or Praxis test scores.
- 1280 for MAT test scores
- Recommendations (number determined by individual program). Using the online application, enter the names and email addresses of your recommenders. Once you submit your application, recommenders are automatically sent an email directing them to the electronic letter of recommendation system. You can update your recommenders and remind your recommenders to submit letters all through your online application account. Recommendations should be from individuals who are qualified, through direct experience with your academic or professional work, to comment on your ability to undertake graduate study and your chosen profession.
- Certification of finances (international students only).
- TOEFL scores (international students whose first language is not English).
- Other items as may be required by the individual program.
Applications for admission and all supporting materials must be received by the Office of Graduate Admissions by the deadlines determined by the individual graduate programs. Once submitted, application materials become the property of the University and will not be returned.
Submission of the electronic application is the first step in the application process. Once this happens an account is generated that allows you to check on the status of your application and monitor the receipt of supporting materials. Please do not wait until the deadline to submit your application. Submitting the application at the deadline means you have no ability to check on your application and determine what our office has received or what is still missing.
If you wish to submit your application without the essay, you may do so. The essay can be sent later via email attachment (PDF format is preferred) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be sure that your name is on the document and also in the subject line of the email.
Applicants are encouraged to submit an online application early and to send supporting documentation to complete the application prior to the program deadline. Additionally, application fees paid by bank card (versus credit card) may take up to two weeks to post to your account.
Paper applications will no longer be accepted except in extenuating circumstances. If you feel you have an extenuating circumstance, please contact Lisa Sweet, Assistant Director of Graduate Admissions (prior to submitting a paper application) at 780-4165 or email@example.com.
In addition to complying with the general application instructions, all applicants must meet additional program-specific requirements.
Applications in Progress
It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that his or her application is complete by the applicable deadline date.
- Check Status-Account Activation Required: If you have submitted an application and have received your account activation letter from our office, follow the link below to activate your account.
- Check Status-Account Activation Complete: If you have already activated your account, and you wish to check on the status of your application, follow this link to MaineStreet.