Limited scholarship opportunities exist to help students fund their study abroad programs. The International Programs office maintains information on funding resources, both internal and external, and have listed the primary scholarship opportunities below.
USM International Programs Scholarships:
Students approved for a USM Study Abroad program are automatically considered for the following four scholarships. No additional application is required.
- New Scholarship Opportunity for Business and/or Tourism and Hospitality Majors
- International Programs Scholarships for Study Abroad
- A.Nye Bemis Memorial Scholarship Fund
- Dena A. Brooks International Student Scholarship
- Merit Scholarships for study on a Reciprocal Program
The following scholarships require a separate application submitted to the USM International Programs Office.
- Dorothy B. Padula Memorial Fund for Student Travel to Latin America
- Summer Travel Course Scholarship
- Dara J. Kaufman Memorial Scholarship
* Learn more about this scholarship & past Kaufman Scholars
University of Maine System Scholarship:
- George J. Mitchell Peace Scholarship for study in Ireland
This scholarship awarded to a UMaine System student covers tuition, fees, room, board and books, as well as provides a living stipend for study at the University College Cork for one semester.
- Boren Scholarships: to promote study abroad & language acquisition in countries considered critical to US national security
- Bridging Scholarships for study in Japan
- Butex scholarships for study in the UK
- Critical Language Scholarship Program to fully fund intensive summer language programs
- Diversity Abroad Scholarships for students with either demonstrated financial need or a diverse background
- Fulbright Grants for graduate level study or research or English teaching assistantships
- Fulbright Summer Institutes in the UK for undergraduates
- Fund for Education Abroad offers a scholarship for students from New England, general scholarships for studying abroad four weeks or more, scholarships for study in Vietnam, and scholarships for LGBT students.
- Gilman Scholarships for Pell Grant recipients. Preference is given to candidates studying outside of Western Europe, Australia or New Zealand.
- Golden Key Scholarships for Golden Key members
- Killam Fellowships for Americans studying in Canada
- Marshall Scholarships for students seeking a graduate degree in the UK
- Phi Kappa Phi Scholarships for Study Abroad
For more information on the above mentioned external scholarship opportunities please contact Kaoru Phillips at email@example.com
To search other external scholarships, we recommend using one the following sites:
- Institute for International Education (IIE) study abroad funding database
- Goabroad.com has a searchable scholarship database
- Study Abroad Financial Aid & Grants lists a wide array of scholarships
- Accredited Schools Online's guide to scholarships and financial aid for minority students
- MoneyGeek's study abroad guide explains different forms of financial aid and loans available
Loans & Other Financial Aid Options: