Office of International Programs
What Happens After You Have Been Admitted?
- The Office of International Programs will send information regarding housing, orientation and other details. Please pass all of these details on to the student. On campus housing is strongly recommened for the first year for all new undergraduate students, especially if this will be their first time away from home.
- Advise your students to use the checklist for admitted students on the agent resource webpage. This will ensure they cover all the necessary items prior to their arrival in Maine.
- The Office of International Programs will stay in touch with e-mail and would be happy to answer any of the student's questions in order to make their transition to USM easier.
- Have the student complete and return the Immunization and Health History form to the International Office (fax number +1-207-780-4933). We also encourage students to bring a copy of their immunization records with them to USM in case there are any questions.
- Have the student complete the Travel Plans Form with details regarding their flight schedule, arrival date and time. Your students can find the form on our website, print it out, complete it and fax back to the International Office at +1-207-780-4933 or they can submit the information via our online web form. (Fall travel plans forms will be available in mid-summer)
- Help them prepare for the visa interview with practice questions and answering any concerns. When they receive the I-20 and admissions documents, they should verify that all of the information on the forms is correct and matches.
- Let our office know if a student will require some temporary housing upon their arrival. If they plan to look for an apartment or are arriving prior the date the dorms open we can recommend a local hotel which offers a discounted rate to USM students.
- Ensure that our office has the most accurate flight information so that we know when your student is arriving and so that we can ensure they have a seat on the shuttle goint to the dorms if they are living on campus.
- Our office will confirm arrival of the student by e-mail and encourage them to phone home.