Career Services mission is to guide and support students in the discovery process, and the achievement of their academic, career, and related life goals. As a family member of a USM student you play a critical role in your student’s success. To help your student succeed in their career exploration we suggest that they are actively involved in the process. Using the following check-list can assist in promoting conversations with your student.
- Encourage on-going discussions with their advisor
- Awareness of the career investigation time-line
- Understand the decision making process
- Research career interests
- Take advantage of informational interview opportunities
- Participate in career related seminars and workshops
- Examine how current employment compliments their career interests
- Write a cover letter & resume
- Be aware of campus/community involvement and volunteerism
- Participate in an internship
- Create a career networking base
- Understand current employment trends
- Search for employment opportunities
Family members can also be helpful to other students by posting employment/internship opportunities to USM’s e-Recruiting career networking site.