Honors and Accomplishments
2012 - Chris Eldridge, a graudate of the M.S.Ed in Literacy Education with a concentration in ESL, was awarded a grant from the National Education Association as part of his final project in EDU 635. Chris implemented this project, Cultural Awareness Through Cooking, in a sociology class at Scarborough High School during the spring of 2012. Click HERE to read more about it!
Krystle Catell received two grants, one through her district's local Lewiston Education Fund, and one through Donors Choose. The mission of the Lewiston Education Fund is to enhance education and learning opportunities by connecting donors to K-Adult public education and the programs they care about. Through this, she was awarded a grant to use for Jump Into Storytelling with StoryJumper! Donors Choose is an online charity which connects donors to classrooms in need. Both of these funded grant applications were written as part of course requirements for EDU 634 Seminar in Literacy Research.
Myra Caron was awarded a grant for six iPads for her classroom. This grant application was also written as part of her course requirements for EDU 634 Seminar in Literacy Research. The grant was awarded by the South Portland School Department, the district Myra currently works in. Myra has been downloading various applications to test out before putting the iPads to good use in her classroom this fall!
3.16.11 - Two Master of Science in Literacy Education with a Concentration in English as a Second Language graduate students had proposals accepted and presented at the TESOL Graduate Student Forum in New Orleans, Louisiana:
- Heather Flanders presented a paper titled, "Cooperative Structures that Enhance ELL Content Learning"
- Marisa C. Zarate presented her topic, "Corrective Feedback on ESL Students' Writing Development"
1.19.2011 - Susan Dee, Literacy Education Adjunct Instructor, and Deanna Gouzie of the McArthur Public Library & Biddeford Intermediate School have been awarded the 2011 Maureen Hayes Author/Illustrator Visit Award Grant.
The Maureen Hayes Author/Illustrator Visit Award, named for the late Maureen Hayes, who in the 1980's was the Director of Library Services for Antheneum Publishing Company, is a national grant award that is given out annually by the American Library Association's Association of Library Services to Children. It is given to a school/public library to pay for the honorarium and travel expenses for a nationally recognized author/illustrator.
Competing with public and school libraries all over the United States, this $4,000 grant was awarded to Dee and Gouzie by a unanimous decision of the committee. The money will be used to bring Newbery Honor and Maine Author Cynthia Lord to Biddeford Intermediate School as a part of their One Book, One School Event April 26-28, 2011.
12.15.2010 - The following Maine Teacher of the Year awardees are graduates of our programs:
- Marlene Day, Maine Teacher of the Year 1983; Completed her Master's in Literacy Education at USM in 1982
- Peter Lancia, Maine Teacher of the Year 2002; Completed his Master's in Literacy Education at USM in 1996
- Donna Tardiff, Maine Teacher of the Year 2006; Completed her CAS in Literacy Education at USM in 2004
- Gloria Noyes, Maine Teacher of the Year 2009; Completed her Master's in Literacy Education at USM in 1998
- Kevin Grover, Maine Teacher of the Year 2010; Completed his Master's in Literacy Education in 2003