- Graduate Programs
- Graduate Catalog
- APPLICATION to USM Graduate Degree Programs
- MaineStreet (Application Status)
- General Graduate Application Instructions
- Graduate Program-Specific Application Instructions and Deadlines
- Special Instructions for International Students
- Graduate Certificate Programs and APPLICATION Form *Please Note* Students enrolled solely in Certificate of Graduate Study programs are not eligible for Federal Financial Aid
- Re-APPLICATION Form
- Electronic Letter of Recommendation System
- Admission FAQs
- Graduate Admissions Staff - Who to Ask
- Graduate Tuition and Fees
Graduate Admissions General Application Instructions
Admission to USM's graduate programs is competitive. Specific admission requirements vary by program. However, in general, admission committees evaluate candidates based upon:
- The nature of his/her undergraduate program.
- Standardized test scores, if required by program.
- Quality of recommendations.
- Professional and life experiences
Application Materials Required for Degree Programs
A complete application consists of:
- Electronic application submitted online.
- Application fee of $65.00 paid online.
- Official transcripts from all colleges or universities attended, excluding the seven campuses of the University of Maine system. A transcript is official when it comes directly from the institution. If an applicant is submitting an official transcript, it must be in a sealed envelope from the insitution indicating that it is an official document. If the envelope has been opened prior to arriving at the Office of Graduate Admissions, it is no longer considered an official transcript.
- Standardized test scores, if required by program.Official copies of standardized test scores often take four weeks or longer to arrive from the testing agency. Please plan accordingly.USM's school codes for submitting official reports of your standardized test scores directly to our office are:
- 3691 for computer-based GRE, GMAT, or Praxis test scores. 03691 for paper-based GRE, GMAT, or Praxis test scores.
- 1280 for MAT test scores
- Recommendations (number determined by individual program). Recommendations are easily submitted using our online application form. You will simply need to provide the name and email address for each of your recommenders during the application process. Once you submit your application, an email will be automatically generated to your recommenders directing them to fill out the electronic letter of recommendation. References should be from individuals who are qualified, through direct experience with your academic or professional work, to comment on your ability to undertake graduate study and your chosen profession.
- Certification of finances (international students only).
- TOEFL scores, required by all programs for international students whose first language is not English.
- Other items as may be required by the individual program.
Applications for admission and all supporting materials must be postmarked by the Office of Graduate Admissions by the deadlines determined by the individual graduate programs. Once submitted, application materials become the property of the University and will not be returned.
Application materials can be mailed to the Office of Graduate Admissions, University of Southern Maine, P.O. Box 9300, Portland, ME 04104-9300 or dropped off at 45 Exeter Street, Portland, Maine.
Applicants are encouraged to submit an online application early and to send supporting documentation to complete the application prior to the program deadline. Additionally, application fees paid by bank card (versus credit card) may take up to two weeks to post to your account.
Paper applications will no longer be accepted except in extenuating circumstances. If you feel you have an extenuating circumstance, please contact Lisa Sweet, Assistant Director of Graduate Admissions (prior to submitting a paper application) at 780-4165 or firstname.lastname@example.org
In addition to complying with the general application instructions, all applicants must meet additional program-specific requirements.
Applications in Progress
It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that his or her application is complete by the applicable deadline date.
- Check Status-Account Activation Required: If you have submitted an application and have received your account activation letter from our office, follow the link below to activate your account.
- Check Status-Account Activation Complete: If you have already activated your account, and you wish to check on the status of your application, follow this link to MaineStreet.