- Graduate Programs
- Graduate Catalog
- APPLICATION to USM Graduate Degree Programs
- MaineStreet (Application Status)
- General Graduate Application Instructions
- Graduate Program-Specific Application Instructions and Deadlines
- Special Instructions for International Students
- Graduate Certificate Programs and APPLICATION Form *Please Note* Students enrolled solely in Certificate of Graduate Study programs are not eligible for Federal Financial Aid
- Re-APPLICATION Form
- Electronic Letter of Recommendation System
- Admission FAQs
- Graduate Admissions Staff - Who to Ask
- Graduate Tuition and Fees
Graduate Admissions Overview
Thinking About Graduate School?
Thank you for your interest in graduate study at USM. Located in Portland, Gorham, and Lewiston, Maine, and one of 220 best northeast colleges recommended by the Princeton Review, USM offers a wide array of masters and several doctoral programs. USM also makes it easy for individuals to enhance their degrees with a number of graduate certificates and certificates of advanced study. For a complete list of programs, please see the list of Graduate Academic Programs.
GENERAL APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS
Admission to USM's graduate programs is competitive. Specific admission requirements vary by program. However, in general, admission committees evaluate candidates based upon:
- The nature of his/her undergraduate program.
- Standardized test scores.
- Quality of recommendations.
- Professional and life experiences
Application Materials Required for Degree Programs
A complete application consists of:
- Electronic application submitted online.
- Application fee of $65.00 paid online.
- Two sets of official transcripts from all colleges or universities attended, excluding the seven campuses of the University of Maine system.
- Standardized test scores.Official copies of standardized test scores often take four weeks or longer to arrive from the testing agency. Please plan accordingly. USM's school codes for submitting official reports of your standardized test scores directly to our office are:
- 3691 for computer-based GRE, GMAT, or Praxis test scores. 03691 for paper-based GRE, GMAT, or Praxis test scores.
- 1280 for MAT test scores
- Recommendations (number determined by individual program). Using our recommendation form, have three recommendations sent to Graduate Admissions. References should be from individuals who are qualified, through direct experience with your academic or professional work, to comment on your ability to undertake graduate study and your chosen profession. Recommendations must be received either directly from the recommender or forwarded by you in sealed envelopes with the recommender's signature over the seal. Giving addressed, stamped envelopes along with the recommendation forms facilitates prompt response from your recommender.
- Certification of finances (international students only).
- TOEFL scores (international students whose first language is not English).
- Other items as may be required by the individual program.
Applications for admission and all supporting materials must be received by the Office of Graduate Admissions by the deadlines determined by the individual graduate programs. Once submitted, application materials become the property of the University and will not be returned.
Applicants are encouraged to submit an online application early and to send supporting documentation to complete the application prior to the program deadline. Additionally, application fees paid by bank card (versus credit card) may take up to two weeks to post to your account.
Paper applications will no longer be accepted except in extenuating circumstances. If you feel you have an extenuating circumstance, please contact Lisa Sweet, Assistant Director of Graduate Admissions (prior to submitting a paper application) at 780-4165 or email@example.com.
In addition to complying with the general application instructions, all applicants must meet additional program-specific requirements.
Applications in Progress
It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that his or her application is complete by the applicable deadline date.
- Check Status-Account Activation Required: If you have submitted an application and have received your account activation letter from our office, follow the link below to activate your account.
- Check Status-Account Activation Complete: If you have already activated your account, and you wish to check on the status of your application, follow this link to MaineStreet.