USM Art Department
BA in Art
The BA in studio art is a four-year liberal arts degree in studio art. The program provides and in-depth studio experience while allowing for a substantial number of non-art electives. It is designed for students who want to focus in art, but also have strong interest in disciplines outside the visual arts. Students may take up to 60 credits of studio courses (designated ART) toward the degree.
The minimum number of credits (exclusive of the University's Core curriculum and electives) required for the major: 45.
Art Foundation (15 credits)
- ARH 111 Art History: Prehistoric through Medieval
- ARH 112 Art History: Renaissance to the Present
- ART 141 Surface, Space, Time (2D)
- ART 142 Surface, Space, Time (3D)
- ART 151 Fundamentals of Perceptual Drawing
Art History Requirements (9 credits)
- Three ARH 300 or 400-level art history courses
Studio Art Requirement (21 credits)
Three 200-level ART courses in three different studio disciplines chosen from:
- ART 221 Digital Art
and Design I
or ART 222 Digital Art and Design II
- ART 231 Introduction to Ceramics
or ART 232 Introduction to Ceramics II
- ART 251 Drawing: Media and Strategies
or ART 252 Drawing: The Figure
- ART 261 Painting: Water-based Media or ART 262 Painting: Mixed Media
- ART 271 Introduction to Photography I
- ART 281 Introduction to Printmaking: Intaglio and Relief
or ART 282 Introduction to Printmaking: Lithography and Screen printing
- ART 291 Sculpture: Additive and Subtractive Processes
or ART 292 Sculpture: Altered and Constructed Processes
One 300-level studio course and one advanced (400-level) course in one of the above disciplines in which you have completed the introductory (200–level) course.
One additional ART 300-level course
Any ART 200-, 300-, or 400-level course.
No more than 60 credit hours with ART designation may be used to fulfill the 120 credit-hours degree requirement.
USM's Kate Cheney Chappell 83' Book Arts Center Director Rebecca Goodale teams up with three Maine artists for an exhibition called ANTGIRLS - opening April 11th, 2014 at USM's Atrium Gallery on Lewiston Campus. FMI contact Rebecca at 228-8014.Learn More