USM Art Department
Minor in Studio Art
The minor in studio art is designed for non-majors who wish to gain substantial knowledge in one of seven studio disciplines offered at USM: ceramics, drawing, digital arts and design, painting, photography, printmaking and sculpture. Students who minor in studio art take an abbreviated version of the foundation program, and then take a sequence of course within a specific discipline.
The minimum number of art and art history credits (exclusive of the University's Core curriculum) required for the minor: 21.
Studio Art Foundation Requirements (6 credits)
Select two courses from the following:
- ART 141 Surface, Space, Time (2D)
- ART 142 Surface, Space, Time (3D)
- ART 151 Fundamentals of Perceptual Drawing
*Each studio discipline has specific prerequisites for its 200-level courses: Ceramics and Sculpture: ART 142, ART 151; Digital Art: two from ART 141, ART 142 and ART 151; Drawing and Painting: ART 151; Photography and Printmaking: ART 141 and ART 151.
Art History Requirement (3 credits)
- ARH 112 Art History: Renaissance to the Present
Introduction to Studio Discipline Course (6 credits)
Two courses from one studio discipline selected from the following:
- ART 221 Introduction to Digital Art and Design I and ART 222 Introduction to Digital Art and Design II
- ART 231 Introduction to Ceramics I and ART 232 Introduction to Ceramics II
- ART 251 Drawing: Media and Strategies and ART 252 Drawing: The Figure
- ART 261 Painting : Water-based Media and ART 262 Painting: Mixed-Media
- ART 271 Introduction to Photography and ART 272 Introduction to Photography II
- ART 281 Introduction to Printmaking: Intaglio and Relief and ART 282 Introduction to Printmaking: Lithography and Screen Printing
- ART 291 Sculpture: Additive and Subtractive Processes and ART 292 Sculpture: Altered and Constructed Processes
Upper-Level Studio Courses (6 credits)
One 300-level studio course from the selected studio discipline.
One 400-level studio course from the selected studio discipline.
USM FACULTY & ALUMNI INVITATIONAL
January 22-March 1
Art Gallery, Gorham Campus
Opening Reception: Thursday, Jan. 22 from 5-7 p.m.
Artist Talks 5:30-6:30 p.m.
Free and open to the public.
Above: Sarah Baldwin '11, waves_Lake KezarLearn More