Per decision of the Provost Council, Departmental Assessment Surveys are being coordinated by the Office of Academic Assessment, for the purpose of tracking the number of surveys being distributed each academic year (especially to students), and to save costs and resources (when possible). If your academic department is interested in conducting a Departmental Survey, please see the following process listed below.
1. Contact Susan King, Director of Academic Assessment about the type of survey your Department is planning (i.e. program or course assessment survey, alumni survey, etc).
2. Determine the population that will receive the survey; i.e. current students (freshmen or senior survey), faculty and staff, external partners, recent graduates or USM alums, etc.
3. Survey items can be drafted by your Department and then given to the Academic Assessment office for review. Office staff will work with your Department to finalize the survey items. The survey will be put in an online format to be distributed via email (i.e. our office has an annual membership with SurveyMonkey and Snap Survey software).
4. For Program/Course Assessment Surveys (i.e. a survey for current students, faculty, or external partners) an accurate list of names and emails will be obtained by either the Registrar's office, the Institutional Research office, or the Human Resources office (depending upon the survey population). The Office of Academic Assessment will distribute the surveys via email, collect and analyze the data, and prepare a report.
5. For Alumni Surveys; (i.e. a survey for recently graduated students or alums) the procedures are listed below:
a. Alumni surveys must be reviewed to ensure that some items address our institutional accreditation, and may include optional items for alums to write-in their recent contact information, etc for alumni outreach purposes.
b. The Academic Assessment office will put the survey items into an online format for an email distribution. If necessary, when email addresses are not available, the Academic Assessment office will send a survey memo via regular mail. No cost to the Department.
c. The Academic Assessment office will coordinate with the Office of Advancement & Donor Services/Alumni Relations who will obtain an accurate list of USM alums and distribute the online survey via their software. The USM alumni list is maintained and updated by the Office of Advancement & Donor Services.
d. The Academic Assessment office will collect and analyze the data, and prepare a report for the Department.
Please contact Susan King for additional details; by phone (207-780-4681), or email firstname.lastname@example.org .