USM Academic Assessment Testing Services administers the following national tests:
- MAT (Miller Analogies Test)
- GRE (Graduate Record Examination) - Subject Tests ONLY
- LSAT (Law School Admission Test)
- PRAXIS/PLNE (Professional Assessment for Beginning Teachers)
Registration / information bulletins for these tests are available outside the Computerized Testing Room at 240 Luther Bonney Hall, Portland Campus.
The Miller Analogies Test (MAT) is a high-level test of analytical ability that requires the solution of problems stated as analogies. The MAT consists of 120 partial analogies that you have 60 minutes to complete. The test measures your ability to recognize relationships between ideas, your fluency in the English language, and your general knowledge of the humanities, natural sciences, mathematics, and social sciences.
For Candidate Information Booklet and Practice Exams, please go to www.milleranalogies.com
Schedule of MAT Test Sessions
Date of Exam
Time of exam
Location of exam
Registration Deadline for exam
|Thur, 6/6/2013||9:00 a.m.||240 Luther Bonney Hall, Portland Campus||5/23/13|
|Thur, 7/11/2013||9:00 a.m.||240 Luther Bonney Hall, Portland Campus||
|Thur, 8/8/2013||9:00 a.m.||240 Luther Bonney Hall, Portland Campus||7/25/13|
MAT Test-takers Please NOTE:
- Please complete Registration Form to register for the MAT before the deadline date.
- Pre-registration is required. No walk-ins will be permitted to take the exam.
- It takes 3-4 weeks to receive your test results. Please consider this turn-around time to meet graduate program application deadlines, as our office does not score this exam.
- You must bring your Admission Ticket on the test date.
- If you are re-taking the MAT, you must bring your Retest Admission Ticket issued by PsychCorp. You will not be permitted to retake the MAT without presenting this ticket.
- You must bring two forms of non-expired positive ID on the test date. One must include a photograph and a signature, such as a driver's license or passport. The second may include a credit card, library card, or a utility bill with your name and address appearing exactly the same as on your other form of identification.
- If you have questions, please contact USM's Testing Associate, Mike Wing at (207) 780.4578
Show what you know about a specific subject and graduate schools will take notice. The GRE Subject Tests can help you stand out from other applicants by emphasizing your knowledge and skill level in a specific area. Offered in these areas: Biochemistry Cell and Molecular Biology, Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science, Literature in English, Mathematics, Physics, and Psychology.
The Office of Academic Assessment at USM administers this exam, but is not responsible for test registration or errors/mistakes in the registration process. Please contact ETS at 1-866-473-4373 for registration and other information regarding the GRE exam. www.ets.org/gre
Upcoming Test Sessions:
- Saturday, April 20, 2013
The Law School Admission Test (LSAT) is a half-day, standardized test administered four times each year at designated testing centers throughout the world. All American Bar Association (ABA)-approved law schools, most Canadian law schools, and many other law schools require applicants to take the LSAT as part of their admission process. It provides a standard measure of acquired reading and verbal reasoning skills that law schools can use as one of several factors in assessing applicants.
The Office of Academic Assessment at USM administers this exam, but is not responsible for test registration or errors/mistakes in the registration process. Please contact LSAC at (215) 968-1001 for registration and other information regarding the LSAT exam. www.lsac.org
Upcoming test sessions:
- Saturday, Feb 9, 2013
- Saturday, June 10, 2013
- Praxis I ® Pre-Professional Skills Tests (PPST®)
These tests measure basic skills in reading, writing and mathematics. In addition to licensure, these tests are often used to qualify candidates for entry into a teacher education program. See Praxis I information.
- Praxis II ® Subject Assessments
These tests measure subject-specific content knowledge, as well as general and subject-specific teaching skills, that you need for beginning teaching. See Praxis II information.
PRAXIS/PLNE Test-takers NOTE: The Office of Academic Assessment at USM administers this exam, but is not responsible for test registration or errors/mistakes in the registration process. Please contact ETS at 1-800-772-9476 for registration and other information regarding the PRAXIS/PLNE exam. www.ets.org/praxis
IMPORTANT REMINDER: Leave your cell phone in your car - do not bring it into the test center. Possession of telephones, cell phones, BlackBerries, PDAs and other electronic devices within the test center is prohibited by Praxis. Failure to comply will result in immediate dismissal, forfeiture of all fees, and a cancellation of scores.
Upcoming test sessions:
- Saturday, January 26, 2013
- Saturday, April 13, 2013
The Office of Academic Assessment is NOT involved with test preparation courses. However, we have provided links below for your information.
- Study guides can be found in local bookstores;
- The above-listed websites may contain information on computerized test prep materials;
- There are nationally-based companies that offer test prep courses throughout the country or online - contact them for information about courses in your area:
GP LSAT Test Prep
- GP LSAT Prep () has been specializing in LSAT Preparation courses since 1999, and offers a variety of course types to meet any student's needs.
- GP LSAT Prep
- Princeton Review
- Test prep including free online resources
Other National Tests
Due to recent technological advances, many national tests are now offered only on computer. Are you looking for any of these tests?
- GRE - General Test (not subject tests)
- GMAT - Graduate Management Admission Test
- TOEFL - Test of English as a Foreign Language
These tests are now handled by the Sylvan Technology Center. Please contact their office at 20 Atlantic Place, South Portland, ME, (207) 775-5812 for more information.