How to Prepare for Pre-Registration Advising
Make an appointment with your advisor, via phone or email, at least one week before you want to meet, so your advisor can be sure to fit you into their schedule.
Before your appointment:
- Review the USM course schedule for the next semester's courses.
- Review the Core Curriculum requirements in your USM catalog to see what remaining requirements you have.
- Review the Biology major requirements to see what remaining requirements you have. Bring a list of any questions you have regarding those requirements.
- You may also download the requirement checklists for the tracks within the Biology major by clicking on the appropriate link: General Biology, Biotechnology, Human Biology, or for the nondegree program in Pre-pharmacy.
- Develop a list of possible courses.
- Check to see if you have met proficiencies and course prerequisites. For example, BIO 107 or BIO 109 is a prerequisite for most upper level Biology courses.
- Put your desired courses in your Wishlist on Mainestreet, and then email your advisor that you have done so.
- Print a copy of your degree progress report or transcript from MaineStreet and bring it with you to your appointment.
- Prepare a list of any questions you may have for your advisor. Write them down so you don't forget to ask them.
- Be prepared to discuss your post-graduate goals, especially as you approach graduation.
At your appointment, you can expect to:
- Confirm your remaining Core and Biology requirements.
- Design a schedule that fits your needs, including considerations for other commitments, such as sports, a job, and family obligations.
- Discuss your post-graduate goals, further opportunities for involvement in the department such as research experiences and student organizations, and experiences beyond the Department that may enhance your life and career goals, such as volunteer work, internships, and local organizations.
- Obtain your PIN, which allows you to register.
- Ask questions as they come up during your meeting.