Communication and Media Studies Department
Minor in Communication and Media Studies
The minor consists of 21 credit hours of courses in both the communication and media studies majors.
In order to declare the minor students must have a minimum 2.0 G.P.A. and have completed the core competencies in Quantitative Reasoning and College Writing.
The minor consists of 21 credit hours of courses in both the communication and media studies majors. Students must receive a grade of C or higher in all required courses in the minor.
CMS Core Courses (9 credit hours):
CMS 102 Introduction to Communication
CMS 103 Introduction to Media Studies
CMS 200 Research Methods in Communication
CMS Areas of Study (12 credit hours)
Communication Theory (select one course):
CMS 255, 265, 272, 298, 330, 332, 345, 385, 390, or 398
Media Theory (select one course):
CMS 210, 284, 286, 288, 294, 303, 310, 323, 350, 355, 370, 374, 380, 384, or 394
Media Writing (select one course):
CMS 150, 202, 274, 205, 225, 300, 302, 305, 315, or 325
CMS Elective (select one course that you qualify to take based on prerequisites).
Now With No Prerequisites!
The following spring 2014 courses are offered with no prerequisites:
- CMS 102: Introduction to Communication
- CMS 103: Introduction to Media Studies
- CMS 284: Introduction to Cinema Studies
- CMS 288: History of International Cinema Since 1945
- CMS 298: Topics in Communication: Media, Culture, and Society
- CMS 320: Topics in Media Production (includes photojouralism & audio production II)
- CMS 330: Theories of Interpersonal Communication
- CMS 332: Communication in the Family
- CMS 390: Theories of Organizational Communication
- CMS 380: Film Genres: Horror
Additionally, CMS 330: Theories of Interpersonal Communication is offered during winter session.
If you have difficulty registering, contact Stephanie Towns.