WOULD YOU LIKE TO BE ONE OF TWO
USM 2013 STUDENT
- Two speakers will be chosen this year to accommodate both graduation ceremonies.
- Speaker must be a graduating student, eligible to participate in commencement and have no more than 9 credit hours to complete at the end of the 2013 spring semester.
- Speech must be 3-5 minutes in length (approximately 500-700 words).
- One speech per graduating student may be submitted.
- Two students may collaborate on a speech, but only one student will be permitted to deliver the speech and sit on the commencement stage.
- Speech should be addressed to the University community in general, including traditional and non-traditional students, family members, guests, faculty and staff.
- It is suggested that the speech reflect the student’s experience as a member of the University Community.
- Selection is based on quality, originality of content and oral presentation.
- Two or more selections from all entries will be orally presented before the selection committee on Monday, April 1st, from 2:30-4:30 p.m. in room 213 Abromson Hall, Portland. *If you submit a speech, please block out this time on your schedule. You will be notified by March 19th if you will be invited to present before the committee.
- Cover sheets and information will be available Monday, February 11, 2013 at the Office of the Chief Student Affairs Office, 2nd floor of the Sullivan Complex, Portland; the Student Life Office, room 135 Woodbury Campus Center, Portland; Campus Involvement & Activities Center, lower level of Brooks Student Center, Gorham; Residential Life Office, 100 Upton Hall, Gorham; Office of Graduate Studies, 45 Exeter St., Portland; and the Student Success Offices, 119 Bailey Hall, Gorham; 119 Payson Smith Hall, Portland, and 119 Lewiston/Auburn College.
“DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION”
Wednesday, March 13, 2013 by 4:00 p.m.
Please return, e-mail or fax cover sheet and speech text to:
Attention: June Heggeman RE: Student Commencement Speaker, 119 Bailey Hall, Gorham Campus, 780-4555. E-mail: email@example.com or fax 780-5605.
Questions: Call Helen Gorgas Goulding, Committee Chair, 780-4629 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
The student speakers are chosen by a committee made up of students, faculty and staff.
- Commencement 2013 will be held in two ceremonies on the Gorham Campus in the Costello Field house on Saturday, May 11, 2013, one beginning at 9:00 a.m. and the other at 2:00 p.m.
- If you need special services, assistance or accommodation to participate fully in this program, contact – TTY 780-5646.
- The selected speakers will be awarded a University of Southern Maine Chair with engraved name plate donated by the USM Alumni Association.
- For any writing assistance, you are encouraged to contact the Learning Commons on the 2nd floor of Glickman Library in Portland, or the 1st floor of the Bailey Library in Gorham.
Click here for an Application Cover Page to enclose with your materials.