WOULD YOU LIKE TO BE THE
- Speaker must be a graduating student, eligible to participate in commencement and have no more than 9 credit hours to complete at the end of the 2015 spring semester.
- Speech must be 3-5 minutes in length (approximately 500-700 words).
- One speech per graduating student may be submitted.
- Two students may collaborate on a speech, but only one student will be permitted to deliver the speech and sit on the commencement stage.
- Speech should be addressed to the University community in general, including traditional and non-traditional students, family members, guests, faculty and staff.
- It is suggested that the speech reflect the student’s experience as a member of the University Community.
- Selection is based on quality, originality of content and oral presentation.
- Two or more selections from all entries will be orally presented before the selection committee on Monday, April 13th, from 2:00-4:00 p.m. in Portland (location TBA). *If you submit a speech, please block out this time on your schedule. You will be notified by April 7th if you will be invited to present before the committee.
- Cover sheets and information will be available Monday, February 2nd and on-line at the Commencement website: usm.maine.edu/commencement and in Portland: Student Life Office, room 135 Woodbury Campus Center; Office of Graduate Studies, 45 Exeter St.; Student Success Center 119 Payson Smith Hall and in Gorham: Gorham Campus Involvement & Activities Center, lower level of Brooks Student Center; Residential Life Office, 100 Upton Hall; Student Success Center, 119 Bailey Hall; and at Lewiston/Auburn College: Student Success Center Rm. 119.
“DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION”
March 27, 2015 by 4:00 p.m.
Please return, e-mail or fax cover sheet and speech text to:
Attention: Kristi Hertlein RE: Student Commencement Speaker, 119 Bailey Hall, Gorham Campus, 780-4555.
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org fax: 780-5605.
Questions: Call Helen Gorgas Goulding, Committee Chair, 780-4629 or e-mail email@example.com
- The student speakers are chosen by a committee made up of students, faculty and staff.
- Commencement 2015 will be held at the Cumberland County Civic Center in Portland, Maine on Saturday May 9th, 2015 beginning at 9:00 a.m.
- If you need special services, assistance or accommodation to participate fully in this program, contact – TTY 780-5646.
- The selected speaker will be awarded a gift donated by the USM Alumni Association.
- For any writing assistance, you are encouraged to contact the Learning Commons on the 2nd floor of Glickman Library in Portland, Writing Center at LAC, or the 1st floor of the Bailey Library in Gorham.