2017 Commencement Student Speaker Application
- Speaker must be a graduating student, eligible to participate in commencement and have no more than 9 credit hours to complete at the end of the 2017 spring semester.
- Speech must be 3-5 minutes in length (approximately 500-700 words).
- One speech per graduating student may be submitted.
- Two students may collaborate on a speech, but only one student will be permitted to deliver the speech and sit on the commencement stage.
- Speech should be addressed to the University community in general, including traditional and non-traditional students, family members, guests, faculty and staff.
- It is suggested that the speech reflect the student’s experience as a member of the University Community.
- Selection is based on quality, originality of content and oral presentation.
- Two or more selections from all entries will be orally presented before the selection committee on Thursday April 6th from 11:30-1:30 p.m. in Portland (location TBA). *If you submit a speech, please block out this time on your schedule. You will be notified by April 1st if you will be invited to present before the committee.
- Cover sheets and guidelines are available on-line at the Commencement website: usm.maine.edu/commencement and in Portland: Campus Life Office, 135 Woodbury Campus Center; Office of Graduate Admissions, 111 Abromson Center; Advising Services 137 Luther Bonney Hall. Gorham: Gorham Campus Involvement & Activities Center, lower level of Brooks Student Center; Residential Life Office, 100 Upton Hall; Advising, 119 Bailey Hall; Lewiston: Student Success Center Room 119.
“DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION”
Thurs. March 16, 2017 by 4:00 p.m.
Please return, e-mail/scan or fax cover sheet and speech text to:
Zorica Andric RE: Student Commencement Speaker, 135 Woodbury Campus Center, Portland Campus,
E-mail/scan: firstname.lastname@example.org Fax: 228-8210.
Questions: Call Helen Gorgas Goulding, Committee Chair, 780-4629 or e-mail email@example.com
- The student speakers are chosen by a committee made up of students, faculty and staff.
- Commencement 2017 will be held at the Cross Insurance Arena in Portland, Maine on Saturday May 13th, 2017 beginning at 9:00 a.m.
- If you need special services, assistance or accommodation to participate fully in this program, contact – TTY 780-5646.
- The selected speaker will be awarded a gift donated by the USM Alumni Association.
For any writing assistance, you are encouraged to contact the Learning Commons on the 2nd floor of Glickman Library in Portland, , or the 1st floor of the Bailey Library in Gorham; or Writing Center at LAC