14th Annual USM Royal Majesty Drag Competition and Show
Friday, November 22nd - Holiday Inn by the Bay, Portland
Competitor and Performer Information and Entry Form
Please read and complete this webform if you are interested in competing or performing in the 14th Annual USM Royal Majesty Drag Competition and Show. Completed entry forms, along with song lyrics for the ASL interpreters, and a CD copy of your performance song, are due by Friday, November 8, 2013. Please note the following:
- For student competitors, the categories for entry have changed. Instead of gender-binary “king” and “queen” categories, competition is open to all genders of drag performance. Instead of two 1st place winners (best king and best queen) there will be one overall competition for all performers, of which 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners will be named. This is to better accommodate “gender bending” performances, and to accommodate for years when there are limited competitors in a particular category. We also ask that performers with lots of experience, or previous competition wins, refrain from entering as a competitor, but still consider performing.
- There are a limited number of performance spots – aside from spots reserved for special guests, preference will be given in the following order: student competitors first, non-competing student performers second, and non-student performers will be allocated the remaining spots.
- Student competitors must be enrolled for at least three credit hours at an accredited Maine college or university for the Fall 2013 semester. Proof of enrollment may be requested. Performers and competitors must be at least 18 years of age, or enrolled at a Maine college or university.
- For student competitors, there will be three cash prizes: $100 (1st place), $75 (2nd place), $50 (3rd place). Competitors will be judged by a panel of judges on (1) Musical Selection, (2) Choreography, (3) Lip Synching, (4) Overall Performance, and (5) Interview Responses. Judges will be instructed to base their ratings on the competing students’ performance only (excluding co-performers or back-up dancers).
- There is a performance time-limit of no more than 5 minutes (not including introduction and interview portion for competitors). If the situation arises where competitors/performers choose the same song, priority will be given based on the date and time the completed sign-up materials were received in the Portland Student Life Office in Woodbury.
- The USM Royal Majesty Show is open to the public and children may be present. Please ensure that your musical choice and your performance are appropriate for an all ages show, and be mindful of USM’s non-discrimination statement printed below.
- The Show, and all performances, will be photographed and video-recorded for archival and future promotional purposes – in print, on the internet, closed circuit campus television, and public displays.
- The night of the show, doors open at 7:00 p.m. and the show begins at 7:30 p.m. Performers and competitors will have access to the dressing room at 5:30 p.m.
- Performers and competitors who are under the influence of alcohol or illegal drugs will be disqualified and/or asked to leave the premises.
- Performers and competitors will not be asked to pay admission to the show. As this is a fundraising event, we ask that all other attendees pay the appropriate admission charge ($5 for students, $10 for non-students).
- The Show will be ASL interpreted. Competitors and performers must provide complete song lyrics and a CD copy of your musical selection with this completed sign-up form. Please make sure it will play on a CD player or computer and that your song is the only one on the CD to avoid confusion. If you are unable to provide a CD, please contact us for alternative formats.
Please submit the webform, along with your song lyrics. A CD copy of your music must be delivered before November 8, 2013 to:
Portland Student Life Office, Woodbury Campus Center, Portland Campus
Or by mail at: Center for Sexualities and Gender Diversity, P.O. Box 9300, Portland, Maine, 04104-9300.
Questions should be directed to (207) 780-5767 or email@example.com
USM's non-discrimination policy:
The University of Southern Maine shall not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender expression or transgender status, national origin or citizenship status, age, disability, or veteran's status in employment, education, and all other areas of the University. The University provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request. Contact the Executive Director, Office of Campus Pluralism and Equal Opportunity, (207)780-5094, TTY (207)780-5646 for questions and complaints.