Hours: Monday–Friday, 8:30am–5:00pm; by appointment
Khusro Kidwai is the Director of Online Teaching and Learning and the Director of the Center of Technology Enhanced Learning (CTEL) at the University of Southern Maine (USM).
In the role of the Director of Online Teaching and Learning he oversees a portfolio of over 350 online and blended courses. He collaborates with Dr. Monique LaRocque, Executive Director of the division of Professional and Continuing Education at USM to implement a vision for USM's online and blended learning initiatives.
In his role as the Director of the Center of Technology Enhanced Learning (CTEL) he directs faculty development initiatives, learning technology support services, and research and development (R&D) initiatives. The Center's R&D efforts focus on the application of learning science to the design and development of technology-enhanced learning environments. Current projects include: e-Rubric Tool, USM's Electronic Course Evaluation Initiative, and IBSTPI's Online Learner Competencies App.
He came to the University of Southern Maine from the Pennsylvania State University where he was a Research Associate at the John A. Dutton e-Education Institute and founder and lead for the Institute's Research and Development Initiative.
He received his Ph.D. degree from the Instructional Systems program at The Pennsylvania State University in 2009. His doctoral work focused on the design and development of a web-based reading environment. This work led him to co-found educational startup firm Learning Interfaces, LLC. Learning Interfaces was selected among 17 education startup firms from over 1500 international applicants to participate in Kauffman Foundation’s inaugural Education Ventures Lab program.
He received his other degrees in Physics: MS from the University of Delhi and BS from St. Stephen's College, Delhi.
In 2013 he was elected to the Board of Directors of the International Board of Standards in Performance, Training and Instruction (IBSTPI).
- Thornton, L., Ferris, N., Johnson, G., Kidwai, K., and Ching, Y. (2011). The impact of an e-portfolio program in a music education curriculum, Journal of Music Teacher Education, 21(1), 65-77.
- DiBiase, D., and Kidwai, K. (2010). Wasted on the young? Comparing the performance and attitudes of postadolescent undergraduates and postbaccalaureate students in identical online classes. Journal of Geography in Higher Education, 34(3), 299–326.
- Ausman, B., Kidwai, K., Munyofu, M., Swain, W., Dwyer, F., and Lin, H. (2008). Effect of Prerequisite Knowledge on the Effectiveness of Animated Instruction. International Journal of Instructional Media, 35(3), 295–300.
SELECTED CONFERENCE PRESENTATIONS
- DiCerbo, K. & Kidwai, K. (2013, July). Detecting player goals from game log files. The 6th International Conference on Educational Data Mining, Memphis, TN.
- Peck, K. & Kidwai, K. (2012, September). Tools for transformative assessment: A key to developing skills. Presentation and demo. Duke University, Durham, NC.