Anush Yousefian Hansen
Anush has been with the Muskie School of Public Service since 2005. She is part of the Maine Rural Health Research Center team, and has contributed to numerous rural health projects focused on active living, food access and healthy eating, childhood obesity prevention, chronic disease prevention, and substance abuse prevention. Over the years, Anush has served as project director for several public health program evaluation projects, including the evaluation of the Maine Colorectal Cancer Control Program, the Northern Maine Rural Collaborative initiative at Eastern Maine Healthcare, and the Maine Lung Cancer Coalition.
Anush is particularly interested in how policy, systems and environmental changes can help create sustainable communities that facilitate healthy behaviors among low-income children and families. Prior to joining the Muskie School, Anush worked in the Bureau of Environmental Health, Massachusetts Department of Public Health and at the Office of Health Promotion Research, University of Vermont College of Medicine.
- As an undergraduate, Anush spent 5 months studying abroad in Kenya and Tanzania
- Anush is trained as a mental health counselor
- Has worked as a counselor and wellness educator for undergraduate and graduate students
Areas of Expertise
- Public health program evaluation, especially in the areas of obesity prevention, food insecurity, and cancer screening
- Active living and healthy eating research
- Rural health research
Please review Anush Hansen's publications on Digital Commons.
- St. Lawrence University, BA, Environmental Studies 1996
- University of Massachusetts School of Public Health and Health Sciences, MS, Public Health/Epidemiology 2001
- University of New Hampshire, MA, Counseling 2011
- 2016-17 Let’s Go! (Maine Medical Center) Evaluation Advisory Committee
- 2016-17 National Physical Activity Policy & Research Network (PAPRN+)
- 2016-17 PAPRN+ Rural Active Living Workgroup
- 2015-17 Maine CDC Active Community Environments (ACE) Workgroup
- 2015-17 New England Rural Health Roundtable
- 2013-17 Maine Public Health Association