Students with disabilities seeking accommodations should contact the Disability Services Center to register and schedule an intake appointment. All students are required to provide documentation of their disability and complete an intake interview with our staff to determine accommodations. Once established, the accommodations remain active at USM unless a changed is requested. Students are issued Accommodation Letters to give to faculty outlining the student's accommodations and inviting faculty to call DSC with questions. DSC honors the rights and requests of all students with regard to confidentiality and use of accommodations. Disability information is not shared with faculty or staff without a student's request and knowledge.
Each semester current students are asked to renew their accommodations by completing the DSC Accommodations Request Form. This form is posted to the DSC each semester during course registration.
Documentation submitted should be in the form of a licensed clinical professional or health provider who is both trained and qualified to evaluate the disability and who is familiar with the student's history. Documentation is not necessarily required to be recent but must reflect the Student's current status. Documentation may not be provided by a Student's relative, friend or family friend.
Documentation should including the following information:
- Name, credentials and contact information of the evaluator
- The nature of the disability and relevant history
- Test results, including scores and written evaluation of scores
- DSM-V or ICD-9 diagnosis with information outlining the duration, severity, treatment and expected prognosis of the condition
- A description of how the disability impacts engagement in day to day activities as related to life at college
- Names of any medications and potential side effects
- Suggested accommodations
Please contact the DSC with any questions or feedback. The DSC is open Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.; phone (207) 780-4706 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.