The Professional Education Council (PEC) is the entity charged by the university with unit accountability related to the management and coordination of all programs offered for initial, advanced and continuing preparation of educaors and othe PK-12 personnel, regardless of where these programs are administratively housed. The Maine Department of Education (Chapter 114) requires that all educator preparation programs be governed within a single unit; the PEC meets this requirement by forging connections between multiple pathways among the four colleges at USM.
The PEC has three major purposes: (a) to promote accountability and consistency across all programs and pathways vis-a-vis the conceptual framework, the assessment system and the capacity of the unit and its component parts to carry out all programs and pathways with integrity and high standards; (b) to review and approve policies and procedures, major curriculum changes, and evaluation studies related to initial and advanced educator certification and continuing preparation of educators and other PK-12 personnel at the University of Southern Maine; and (c) to provide a forum for communication and coordination between and among initial and advanced programs leading to professional credentials for K-12 schools. Chaired by the Director of Education Preparation, the Council is composed of the faculty coordinators for each program or pathway and administrators from each college having educator preparation programs. The Council meets as needed but at least three times annually.
PEC 2014 - 2015 Meeting Schedule:
- October 17, 2014 - (12p - 2p) Portland (Room TBA)
- November 21, 2014 - (12p - 2p) 110 Bailey Hall in Gorham
- December 19, 2014 - (12p - 2p) Portland (Room TBA)
- January 16, 2015 - (12p - 2p) 110 Bailey Hall in Gorham
- February 20, 2015 - (12p - 2p) Portland (Room TBA)
- March 20, 2015 - (12p - 2p) 110 Bailey Hall in Gorham
- April 17, 2015 - (12p - 2p) Portland (Room TBA)
- May 15, 2014 - (12p - 2p) 110 Bailey Hall in Gorham
- June 19, 2015 - (12p - 2p) Portland (Room TBA)