Office Hours Fall 2014Mondays and Wednesdays 11am-12pm or by appointment
- BSc (Mechanical Engineering) Sharif University of Technology, 1987
- MSc (Mechanical Engineering) Sharif University of Technology, 1989
- PhD (Mechanical Engineering) Sharif University of Technology, 1994
- MSc (Economic and Social Systems Engineering) Institute for Research in Planning and Development, 1998
- PhD (Mechanical Engineering) Carleton University, 2009
Dr. Ghorashi is a Professional Engineer (P.E.) and a member of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) and the National Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi. He started his professional work in industry while he was a graduate student. He worked in the Indamine Shock Absorber Mfg. Co and the Mazda Company in Tehran for a total period of eight years. There, he served as the manager of the Quality Control Department and the manager of the R&D Department, respectively.
In 1995, after receiving his first PhD (on dynamics of structures under moving loads), Dr. Ghorashi joined the Mechanical Engineering Department of Sharif University of Technology as an assistant professor. In 2001, he was promoted to associate professor. During his sabbatical leave in 2002-2003, he worked with Professor Daniel J. Inman in Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University on the development of smart joints using shape memory alloys. In 2004, Dr. Ghorashi moved to Canada. At Carleton University in Ottawa, he taught a few courses for which he received the Best Professor Award from the Carleton Student Engineering Society. In 2006 he decided to earn a second PhD (this time on dynamics of nonlinear rotating composite beams with embedded actuators) and graduated in 2009. In September 2009, Dr. Ghorashi joined the Department of Engineering in the University of Southern Maine (USM). At USM, he has been a member of the Research Council as well as the Faculty Senate. Currently, he is serving at the Core Curriculum Committee.
During his career, he has worked on a variety of research topics including,
- Vibration Analysis and Control of Linear and Nonlinear Systems
- Application of Smart Materials (Shape Memory Alloys) as Actuators and Sensors
- Nonlinear Rigid Body Dynamics (with applications in ships and helicopter blades)
- Elasto-dynamic Analysis of Composite Helicopter Blades
- Structural Design using Variational Asymptotic and Finite Element Methods
- Stress Analysis and Limit State Analysis (for Plastic Design) of Structures
Beside his education and research on Mechanical Engineering, Dr. Ghorashi has also received an MSc in Economic and Social Systems Engineering from the Institute for Research in Planning and Development in Tehran. His main subject of research in this area has been Overlapping Generations Model and Micro-based Macro-economics.
- J. Finley and M. Ghorashi., 2013, “Effective use of an Undergraduate Research Fellowship for Design and Manufacture of Tools to Assist in Teaching Strength of Materials,” 120th ASEE Annual Conference, Atlanta, GA, June 23-26, 2013, Paper number: AC 2013-7136.
- M. Ghorashi, 2012, “Nonlinear Analysis of the Dynamics of Articulated Composite Rotor Blades,” Nonlinear Dynamics, Vol. 67, pp. 227-249.
- N. Randall and M. Ghorashi, 2012, “Design, Manufacture, Simulation and Experimentation of Several Tools to Assist in Teaching Strength of Materials and Statics Courses,” 119th ASEE Annual Conference, San Antonio, TX, June 10-13, 2012, Paper number: AC 2012-2971.
- M. Ghorashi, 2011,“Theoretical and Numerical Calculation of the Load Carrying Capacity of Circular Plates,“ ASME Applied Mechanics and Materials Conference, Chicago, IL, May 30-June 1, 2011, Technical Presentation McMat 2011-4545.
- M. Ghorashi, 2010, “Nonlinear Rigid Body Dynamics of Accelerating Articulated Rotor Blades,” 13th Conference on Nonlinear Vibrations, Dynamics and Multi-body Dynamics, Blacksburg, VA, May 23-26, 2010.
- M. Ghorashi and F. Nitzsche, 2009, “Nonlinear Dynamic Response of an Accelerating Composite Rotor Blade using Perturbations,” Journal of Mechanics of Materials and Structures, Vol. 4, pp. 693-718.
- M. Ghorashi and F. Nitzsche, 2008, “Steady State Nonlinear Dynamic Response of a Composite Rotor Blade Using Implicit Integration of Intrinsic Equations of a Beam,” International Review of Aerospace Engineering, Vol.1, pp. 225-233.