How to Apply to the USM ESOL Program
How to Apply
Individuals interested in attending the Intensive English Program must have completed secondary school and be able to provide proof of sufficient funds to support their study.
In order to apply, it is necessary to send the following materials:
- (2) An official bank statement indicating sufficient funds to cover program costs and living expenses
- (3) A signed letter, in English, from the owner of the bank account (if a relative and not the applicant himself/herself) indicating agreement to support the student for tuition, fees, and living expenses while participating in our program ("affidavit of support")
- (4) Scanned copy of passport biographical page and photo
- (5) Proof of previous English study (school certificate, transcript, etc. For students transferring from another US program, a transcript or reference letter from a previous program administrator is required)
- (6) Nonrefundable application fee of $40 (US) and a nonrefundable tuition deposit of $150 (US) made payable to the University of Southern Maine (total of $190 US) (Check or money order. To wire transfer funds, please contact us)
- Admission to the IELP does not guarantee admission to USM for academic study. Any applications for a degree program must be done through the Office of Admissions.
- Students are required to have or purchase medical insurance.
- Students born after 1956 must show proof of immunity to measles, mumps, rubella, tetanus, and diphtheria.
- Upon receipt of completed application, Declaration of Finances, and a check made payable to the University of Southern Maine for $190 (US), the Office of International Programs will issue an INS I-20 Certificate of Eligibility which needs to be presented to a US Visa Office to obtain an F1 student visa.
- Signed applications can be faxed. Certification of Finances can be faxed to speed up the procedure, but an original copy must be mailed. Postal money orders cannot be accepted.
Spring: October 30
Summer: May 1
Fall: May 15