USM is moving to electronic receipt of Journal Entries and Interdepartmental Orders (JEs and IDOs). This change aligns with our green philosophy and streamlines the processing of these entries. Additionally, our office is able to upload excel spreadsheets directly into GL which reduces the chance for error and eliminates time spent deciphering handwritten material. This process will be standard practice effective July 1, 2014. Feel free, however, to adopt this process immediately. Call Katie Mahoney in Finance and Administration at extension 780-4484 if you have any questions.
The New Process:
- Journal entries and Interdepartmental Orders must be sent as excel attachments using the forms in the link below. Handwritten signatures are no longer required. Please be sure to adhere to the 30 character limit (including spaces) in the line description on the JE form. USE OF ANYTHING OTHER THAN LETTERS OR NUMBERS WILL PREVENT THE FORM FROM UPLOADING. Please refrain from using any symbols or punctuation.
- Be sure to include descriptions and all appropriate amounts, departments, accounts and fund codes at a minimum. Enter class, program and project numbers if appropriate.
- Journal Entry forms must include the name of the originator and the approver.
- IDO’s must include the Ordering and Selling Department names as well as the printed name of the person authorizing the transaction, i.e., the person requesting the service or product.
- Once the JE or IDO is complete, the originator forwards the excel document to the financial manager for review and approval. The financial manager then sends the excel document via e-mail along with any back up to email@example.com.
Please remember that any JE’s or IDO’s involving a sponsored project need to be sent to the Office of Sponsored Programs for review and processing.
Financial Managers for Each Division/College:
Finance & Administration – Amy Blaisdell
School of Law – Nicole Vinal Harvie
Student Affairs – Justin Swift
President – Sharoo Wengland
Advancement – Karen Pelletier
Human Resources – Linda Boody
Public Affairs – Jenifer Bennett
Provost – Carol O’Donnell
CAHS – Keva Wright Berry
CMHS – Tammy Blair
CSTH – Alison Hinson
LAC – Pam Roy
PCE – Cherie Tate
Libraries – Pat Marston