Honors Program Graduation
Honors Program Graduation (Fall 2012 catalog): thesis and non-thesis tracks offered.
Students are encouraged to meet all of their USM Core curriculum requirements with honors courses.
Thesis Track: Graduation with General University Honors requires a cumulative USM GPA of at least 3.4 and the following coursework:
- HON 101 - Honors Entry-Year Experience (or approved substitute)*
- HON 201 - Honors Science Exploration
- HON 310 - Honors Global Ethical Inquiry (or approved substitute)*
- HON 311 and HON 411/412 Honors Thesis I and II/III (minimum grade of B-)
- Three credits of additional honors coursework
* Course substitution is possible if you cannot use HON 101 or 310 as part of your USM Core curriculum due to prior credit, major requirement, study abroad…
Non-thesis Track: An alternate honors designation is available for those who take an additional three credits of honors coursework in lieu of the six- to-nine-credit thesis. The minimum USM GPA is 3.2.
See your USM Academic Catalog for a complete listing of requirements in the Honors Program.
Note: the Honors Program designation is separate from, and in addition to, cum laude, magna cum laude, and summa cum laude awarded solely on overall USM grade point average.