The USM Honors Program is an academically-intensive learning community, providing an in-depth interdisciplinary approach to general education. Honors study lounges on both campuses provide an intellectual home for students who are willing and able to be challenged. We are committed to small, discussion-based classes in which students develop critical thinking skills while building collaborative relationships with students, staff and faculty.
- Our small, seminar-style courses give you the opportunity to work closely with other similarly engaged students and to be mentored by your teachers.
- You will be invited to pull together and make sense of what you’re learning in college while you deepen and sustain your thinking—reflectively, analytically, critically and imaginatively.
- Write more coherently and know your own voice.
- Learn how to field questions, to lead discussions and to give public presentations with confidence.
- You will know how to design and carry out personal, complex projects, start to finish.
- When you graduate from USM with the Honors distinction you will be prepared and positioned for graduate or professional school or for pursuit of your chosen career.