Salaried Hiring Checklist
Your primary contact for all search matters is Michelle Nadeau (780-5629, FAX 780-5136).
- Obtain approval for position through the Position Justification Process.
- Email job description and Position Descripiton Questionnaire (PDQ) to Michelle. New positions will be placed in a salary band and current positions will be reviewed to make sure they are in the correct band.
- Michelle will create a posting/ad based on the "statement of the job" and "qualifications". Please provide a list of places you want to advertise. Michelle will place all "paid" advertisements. Free announcements will be placed by the department (once ad copy has been approved by Michelle).
- Search Committee must review the "tool kit" outlining their roles and responsibilities. Discuss Candidate Rating Process and develop Individual and Comparative Rating Sheets. Email Michelle the names of those serving on the committee.
- All materials are handled electronically. Amanda Bradeen will set up a Groupwise folder to share email. She will give instructions on managing electronic files.
- Prior to doing phone interviews, email Michelle the Summary of Applications and list of those you want to interview. If you are not interviewing those with the highest scores, please provide explanation. Semi finalists must be approved before you phone interview. If your pool is small you may skip to campus interviews.
- Prior to doing campus interviews, email Michelle the updated Summary of Applications with phone interview scores (if applicable) and highlight those you want to bring to campus.
- Do reference checks. These can also be done earlier in the process (for instance, to help narrow down your pool of applicants).
- Email Michelle the final Summary of Applications with campus interview and reference check scores. Provide a summary of your process to choose the finalist.
- If the salary to be offered is above the 1st quartile of the salary band, please complete the "Request to Hire Above the 1st Quartile" form and submit to M.A. Watson for review/approval. If the salary to be offered is in the 1st quartile, verify with M.A. that the salary is equitable with employees within the department.
- Once the finalist has verbally accepted, notify Michelle of hire date and date of birth and include the "Application for Employment". These pieces of information are needed to produce the appointment letter.
- Send final "rejection" letters to all unsuccessful applicants.
- All search-related materials must be submitted to Employment Services where they will be stored for the requisite 3 years. Amanda will notify you of what needs to be done to submit the files.
EMPLOYMENT QUICK LINKS