Students from the Anhui University of Finance and Economics who will be attending USM for a semester or year of study abroad should complete the simplified application outlined below.
Preferred Deadline: May 1st
USM can continue to receive application materials until June 1st, however course offerings will be limited beyond May 1st
THE PROCESS IS AS FOLLOWS:
1. Complete an International Exchange Student Application
2. Submit the International Exchange Student Application to the USM International Programs office and be sure to include the following:
- A brief essay (300-500 words) stating your reasons for wanting to study at the University of Southern Maine. How will this period of study contribute to your current academic program? Please include any areas of interest or special skills.
- A statement from your home school supporting your program of study at the University of Southern Maine.
- A completed Language Proficiency Report.
- An Academic transcript from your college or university (translated into English) listing the courses that you have taken prior to your enrollment at USM. This is a MUST in order to be able to verify that you have the necessary pre-requisites required for upper level courses. (Students must have the equivalent of a US 3.0 GPA to be eligible for this study abroad program).
- A copy of the biographical page of your passport.
3. Submit proof of sufficient funding to cover your expenses during your year or semester at USM.
Students coming from Anhui University of Finance and Economics must document $15,519.00 for one semester. If you are staying for a full academic year simply double that amount.
The cost breakdown is as follows:
- $7182.00 Tuition (with exchange relationship discount)
- $795.00 Academic Fees (with exchange relationship discount)
- $4807.00 for room, board in Philippi Hall International Living & Learning Community (with exchange relationship discount)
- $600.00 for books and supplies
- $1035.00 for medical insurance
- $1100.00 for personal expenses
- This totals $15,519.00 per semester
- In order to document sufficient funding students should complete a Declaration of Finances form and submit the appropriate back up documentation.
- If your funding is being provided by a parent or relative you will also need to provide a Letter of Sponsorship.
4. Students will need to select their courses based on the requirements remaining at their home school and the availablity of USM courses.
Please submit a list of the business courses that you need to complete your AUFE degree. The USM School of Business will assist you with trying to locate appropriate equivalencies at USM.
Students may also need to enroll in English Language courses based on their level of proficiency. Upon arrival at USM students will meet with the Director of the English as a Second Language Program and will need to be tested to determine their level of English proficiency. Based on their English level students may need to take some ESOL courses in additional to traditional courses. In cases of very low proficiency levels students will need to enroll in the full time ESOL Intensive program. .
If students need elective coursework we recommend you review the following offerings and select a few courses based on your personal preference:
2012-13 Academic Calendar
● Arrival Dates at USM: Monday, August 27 or Tuesday, August 28, 2012*
● New International Student Orientation: August 29 - 31, 2012
● Classes Begin: Monday, September 4th, 2012
● October Vacation: Begins Monday, October 8, 2012
● Classes Resume: Wednesday, October 10, 2012
● Veteran's Day (no classes): Sunday, November 11, 2012
● Thanksgiving Vacation Begins: Wednesday, November 21, 2012
● Classes Resume: Monday, November 26, 2012
● Last Day of Classes: Friday, December 15, 2012
● Final Exams: Monday, December 17 - Friday, December 21, 2012
* Pickup times for students living on campus: 8/27 at 7:30 PM (airport) or
8:15 PM (Concord bus station)
8/28 at 11 AM (hotel), 11:15 AM (airport) or 12 Noon (Concord bus station)
● New International Student Orientation: January 10 & 11, 2012
● Classes Begin: Monday, January 14, 2013
● Martin Luther King Dar: Monday, Jaunuary 21, 2013
● Winter Vacation Begins: Monday, February 18, 2013
● Classes Resume: Monday, February 25, 2013
● Spring Vacation Begins: Monday, March 25, 2013
● Classes Resume: Monday, April 1, 2013
● Last Day of Classes: Friday, May 3, 2012
● Final Exams: Monday, May 6 - Friday, May 10, 2013
● Commencement: Saturday, May 13, 2013