Exciting New Study Abroad Scholarships
New Scholarship Opportunities
USM is pleased to announce two exciting new scholarships offered by our Study Abroad providers to help YOU pay for an international experience!
This program gives first generation college students significant financial, academic and preprofessional support for study abroad on a semester or year IFSA-Butler program.
- The program includes up to $2,500 in reimbursements and up-front money for expenses such as:Housing and meals ($500)
- Flight transportation (approximately $1,500 value)
- Student visa fee reimbursement, where applicable ($100-$500 value, depending on country)
- Passport fee reimbursement (approximately $150 value)
In addition to the scholarship funds listed above, the First Generation Scholars Program also includes the following:
- Resume building workshop
- Additional predeparture support
- Specialized parent publications
- Student blogs
2. Council on International Education's (CIEE) GAIN Scholarship
CIEE launched GAIN ~ The Global Access Initiative for Study Abroad ~ to help overcome the main barriers to study abroad, namely, challenges of cost and curriculum requirements. GAIN will aide in diversifying study abroad by providing opportunities for students who are economically challenged, from diverse backgrounds, or underrepresented fields of study.
Providing Access through Scholarships
- Committing one million dollars each year to students who are economically challenged, are pursing intensive international experiences, or are otherwise limited by their major or student activities.
- Providing grants and scholarships to students for full-year, semester, and summer study abroad programs.
- Program launches with Summer 2012 study abroad programs & applications will be available in mid to late January.
- Scholarships will be available for the 36 CIEE summer programs offered in 21 countries.
- GAIN will also provide grants and scholarships to students who are selected as awardees by the highly respected Benjamin A. Gilman and David L. Boren Scholarship programs.