Winchester is one of the oldest and most beautiful cathedral cities in the United Kingdom. It is a historically rich city that was once home to the Saxon and Norman Kings of England. Set in the rolling countryside of southern England, Winchester is a small but bustling city with a population of just over 35,000. It is centrally located in Southern England just an hour's train ride away from London.
Winchester is a great location for Arts and Humanities students. It's also a favorite among Business students. We recommend Winchester for the following majors:
- American Studies
- Communication: Film Studies, Film Production, Journalism, Media Studies & Production
- Drama: Theater, Choreography & Dance, Musical Theater and Performing Arts
- English & Creative Writing
- Sports Studies, Sports Science, Sports Management and Sports Coaching and Development
A Few Key Academic Facts:
- Journalism at Winchester is ranked first in England for academic support and learning resources.
- Dance was ranked in the top 10 and Business, Creative Writing, Psychology and Social Work were ranked in the top 20 universities in England for satisfaction with teaching by full and part time undergraduate students.
- Learn more about Winchester's high rate of student satisfaction!
Winchester requires a minimum 2.8 GPA
Winchester's Academic Term:
- Fall runs late September through mid-December
- Spring runs mid January through early April
Course Selection & Transfer Credit
To choose your courses, use Winchester's Module Information for visiting students. Be sure to page down to Topic 4 and use those links. DO NOT use the course link on the left as you need a log in to access that information. You can only take courses listed in this catalog. Be sure to review the Guide to Selecting Modules.
A full load at Winchester is 60 Winchester credits, which is equal to 12 USM credits. Almost all courses are worth 15 Winchester credits which equals three USM credits. There are a few 30 credit courses that span for the full academic year. It is highly unlikely you will be able to take a full-year course if you are only studying at Winchester for one semester. Please consult with the Office of International Programs before considering one.
Like most UK schools, undergraduate degree programs at Winchester are completed in 3 years. That means that courses transfer back to USM in the following way:
Winchester Year 1 (also called level 4) = 200 Level USM Course
Winchester Year 2 (also called level 5) = 300 Level USM Course
Winchester Year 3 (also called level 6) = 300 or 400 Level USM Course
Housing at Winchester
The University of Winchester has accommodation for over 1,000 students in their campus Halls of Residence. All USM exchange students live on-campus in one of the four catered halls on the main college campus. All rooms include a wash basin, single bed, desk, wardrobe, and bookshelf. Catered accommodations include a bedding pack which consists of a pillow, pillow case, sheet, duvet and duvet cover for a single bed. Although you will have a single bedroom, you will share the floor with 4-6 other students, similar to apartment style living. As part of the exchange, students receive a weekly meal allowance.
Student attending the University of Winchester in the FALL will pay USM in-state tuition and fees for 12 credits. Students pay Winchester locally for the cost of on-campus room and board. Students who attend in the SPRING pay a rate set by University of Winchester for 12 credits worth of tuition, on campus housing and a partial board plan.
If you are studying in the UK for 6 months or less you do not need a student visa. Visas are a MUST for students studying in the UK for the full academic year.
- Information for Exchange Students(Topic #4 on this page is where you will find course descriptions)
- The Winchester Experience for Visiting Students
- About the city
- About the campus
- Winchester Student Union
- 2014-2015 International Student Handbook
To learn more about Winchester contact the International Programs Office at the University of Southern Maine: firstname.lastname@example.org