Reading Room Policy
We welcome your use of our resources and ask that you follow these rules in order to help us preserve materials for future use.
- Eating and drinking are not permitted in the Reading Room.
- All readers must show a photo I.D. when they register and sign the Reading Room Log every time they visit.
- Materials do not circulate and must be used in the Special Collections Reading Room. Fill out a separate signed call slip for each item.
- No pens, of any sort, may be used in the Reading Room for any reason. Only pencils may be used while working in the Reading Room.
- Staff may give specific directions for handling various items. When using manuscript or archival collections, users will be given access to only one box at a time and will only work on one folder at a time. Documents must be returned to folders and boxes in the same order as they were originally.
- Photocopying is done only by Special Collections staff and at their discretion, based on department guidelines. Because the staff have other duties, they may not be able to photocopy on demand and arrangements will be made to meet users needs as efficiently as possible. Some fees may apply.
- These materials are made available for study only. It is your responsibility to know and abide by statutes covering copyright and fair use for publication from these sources, literary property rights, and right-to privacy.
- Applications must be made to this department for Permission to Use materials in public. Some fees may apply.
- Coats, bags and cases must be put in the cubby holes in the Reading Room.
Also see our Reproduction Policy for Special Collections.