Special Collections

USM Timeline

Brief Chronological History of USM followed by Presidents, Principals, Provosts, and Deans

Timeline

1878 - Gorham Normal School established (GNS) as Western Maine Normal School, Maine's third normal school

1879 - Gorham Normal School opens in January, 1879. Course of study is one year

1881 - Course of study increased to two years

1921 - Portland University is incorporated (PU)

1925 - (GNS) Program for Junior High preparation begun and course of study increased to three years

1925 - Portland University closes
1933 - Portland Junior College (PJC) opens

1938 - (GNS) First baccalaureate (four year) degrees awarded

1943 - PJC is closed because of WWII

1945 - Portland University's old charter is revised and reopens, primarily to provide law training in Maine

1945 - GNS renamed Gorham State Teacher's College (GSTC)

1946 - PJC reopens, but for men only, to accomodate ex servicemen

1947 - Portland Junior College aquires the former Deering Estate, the present location of USM's Portland campus

1949 - Portland University is given the right to grant the law degree (LLB) by the state

1953 - PU is granted the right to confer other degrees by the state, the College of Business Administration is established

1957 - PJC acquired by the UM System in 1957, becomes University of Maine in Portland (UMP). It remains a two year school until 1961

1960 - Regional accreditation for GSTC

1961 - Portland University merges with UMP and PU's Portland Law School becomes the University of Maine School of Law

1961 - Coeds are first enrolled on the Portland campus. PJC was a male only school and UMP continued on as such until the fall of 1961.

1962 - Continuing Education Divison established at UMP

1964 - Graduate School established at GSTC, Gorham

1965 - National accreditation for GSTC

1965 - GSTC renamed Gorham State College (GSC)

1966 - Secondary Education program established in Gorham

1968 - Gorham State College joins the UM system and becomes Gorham State College of University of Maine (GSC of UM)

1969 - Trustees decree that GSC and UMP will merge to become the University of Maine at Portland-Gorham (UMPG) in 1970

1970 - July 11, 1970, the UMPG merger becomes effective, the academic merger follows one year later (the Fall term 1971 is the first as UMPG)

1978 - UMPG is renamed the University of Southern Maine (USM)

1988 - Lewiston/Auburn College of USM established

Presidents, Principals, Provosts, and Deans

William Corthell, principal, GNS 1878-1905
Walter Russell, principal, GNS 1905-1940
Francis L. Bailey, president, GNS-GSTC, 1940-1960
Kenneth T. H. Brooks, president, GSTC-GSC-GSCofUM, 1960-1970
Everett Lord, dean, PJC 1933-1938
Luther T. Bonney, dean, PJC 1938-1957
Luther T. Bonney, dean, UMP 1957-1958
William I. Irvine, dean, UMP 1958-1961
William L. Whiting, dean, UMP 1961-1966
David R. Fink, dean UMP 1966-1967, provost 1968-1969
Edward S. Godfrey, acting provost UMP 1970
Richard H. Armstrong, dean, Law School, PU 1949-1961
John M. Blake, dean College of Business Administration, PU 1953-1961
William F. MacLeod, acting president, UMPG, 1970-1971
Louis J.P. Calisti, president, UMPG 1971-1973
Walter P. Fridinger, acting president, UMPG 1973
N. Edd Miller, president, UMPG, 1973-1978
Kenneth W. Allen, acting president, USM, 1978-1979
Robert L. Woodbury, president, USM 1979-1987
Patricia R. Plante, president, USM 1987-1991
Richard L. Pattenaude, president, USM 1991-2007
Joseph S. Wood, acting president, USM, 2007-2008
Selma Botman, president, USM, 2008-2012
Theo Kalikow, president, USM, 2012-

Digital Commons@USM

Umpire 1967 Yearbook Cover University of Maine in Portland

Special Collections is now part of Digital Commons@ USM! Explore the complete yearbook collection from the University Archives of USM and all its predecessor institutions going back to 1919 and see more from our collections.

Learn More

Connect With Us