Answers to your questions regarding a bulk mailing:
We will no longer be processing bulk mail by hand per direction of the US Postal Service; this is to satisfy the USPS minimal electronic requirements. However if you decide to process them yourself please be aware of the following mandatory requirements and fees that will be charged for errors that will be fixed by the mail centers.
As a reminder, to go out Pre-sorted (Third Class, Bulk)
- All Posts Letters & Flats must have the exact same contents in each envelope.
- Personalization of Pre-sorted Bulk Mailings is not allowed unless it meets certain criteria.
- If all letters are the same and the individual's name on the address is the same as the name in the salutation, it is permissible.
This type of individualization is not allowed:
- Handwriting on the envelope or on the letter inside the envelope or on any other piece of mail inside the envelope.
- Stickers used for decoration are not allowed.
- Post it notes are not allowed.
- An extra note to an individual is not allowed.
If you have any questions on Bulk Mailings please call Jean at Ext. 4288.
You may stuff the envelopes in your office and please seal them if Flats and place a piece of tape over the clasp. Stuffing envelopes cost .03 per piece stuffed into an envelope by the Letter Shop. Envelopes should be addressed before stuffing.
All Mailing Lists must go through the US Postal Service NCOA Link and there are no exceptions to this Postal Rule. This is mandatory. The list is then good for 95 days. (James Booth does the NCOA check in the Letter Shop in Portland Ext. 4087). Send your Mailing List to James, email@example.com. The cost for this is $30.00 Setup Fee and .02 per address.
The Addresses are required to be on the envelope in a specific position. They must be on the upper half of a flat size envelope. (We have a machine that does this automatically placing all addresses in the same area on each envelope). If the Mail is not addressed correctly they will be returned by the P.O. Envelopes should be addressed before stuffing.
All Mail Pieces must be sorted properly according to zip code by the first three digits. Letters must be placed in Trays and Flats must be placed in bags weighing up to 15 pounds. If you do a mailing yourself it is required to have them in the bags or trays before coming to the Gorham or Portland Mail Center. If the mail pieces are not sorted properly a fee is charged to fix the mailing at a rate of $30.00 per hour.
Costs of Mailings Processed through The Letter Shop: Print addresses on the envelopes .03 per piece; Sort by machine in zip order and are placed in bags for the cost of .03 per piece up to 1000 pieces (After 1000 pieces the charge is .015 per piece); NCOA Link Certification Process $30.00 and .02 per address; Cost of Postage.
If a Department processes their own pre-sorted mailings:
- Your Department is Paying an hourly wage to person(s) doing the work, cost of mailing, cost of supplies
- If they are not processed correctly the Portland or Gorham Mail Centers charge $30.00/hr. to fix it.
- If the mailing list is not run through the NCOA Link every 95 days (Proof is required) we chance losing our pre-sort standard permit and paying a fine of $1000.00.
Supervisor, Mail Services