USM YOUTH ENSEMBLES SCHOLARSHIP
Application deadline: Wednesday, March 19, 2014 at 9 p.m.
Final auditions: Tuesday, April 1, 2014, beginning at 5 p.m.
Rules and Requirements
ELIGIBILITY: Any member in good standing of the USM Youth Ensembles during the academic year in which the competition is held. Previous winners are not eligible.
ENTRANCE REQUIREMENTS: All entrants must submit the following:
1) A high quality audition CD or tape recording (i.e. High Density Maxell, Sony or TDK) of the student performing two compositions of two different styles (Baroque, Classical, Romantic, or 20th Century). Performance of the entire composition in multi-movement works is not required; however, an entire movement must be presented. The performance should be approximately 15 minutes in total length. Recording must include accompanist unless composition is written for unaccompanied instrument.
2) Completed application form.
DEADLINE: All applications must be received no later than
Wednesday, March 19, 2014 at 9 p.m.
1) Applications and recordings will be evaluated by selected judges and finalists will be notified by March 25, 2014 by e-mail.
2) Auditions for the finalists will be scheduled beginning at 5 p.m. on Tuesday, April 1, 2014, at Corthell Concert Hall. Finalists will perform before a panel of judges. Memorization is not required.
3) At the audition on April 1, each finalist will perform both compositions previously submitted on the recording. Finalists must provide their own accompanists.
4) Announcement of the winner will be made following the competition and again at the Youth Ensembles Spring Concert on Thursday, April 10, 2014. Audition recordings may be picked up at the Music office following the final audition. If recordings are not reclaimed, they will be recycled.
AWARDS: Winner of the scholarship will receive a cash prize of $500.
The number of finalists will be determined by the judges. Decisions of the judges are final. Auditions will be closed.
Any questions regarding the competition should be directed to Binney Brackett, liaison to the Youth Ensembles, at 780-5003 or email@example.com.
Application and recording should be submitted to:
USM Youth Ensembles
37 College Ave.
Gorham, ME 04038
Download the application form to mail with your CD. Please complete and submit the following short form to let us know you intend to apply.