Certificate of Graduate Study in Applied Research & Evaluation Methods
The Certificate of Graduate Study in Applied Research & Evaluation Methods is designed for students and practitioners who want to learn to use data effectively on the job and in the community. The certificate emphasizes data acquisition, data analysis and presentation, choosing and applying statistical techniques to real world problems, and practical application of analytical tools.
The certificate may be pursued as a 12-credit program of study, without concurrent matriculation in a degree program, or to augment a Muskie School master's or doctoral degree program. There is no mathematics or statistics prerequisite.
For More Information
For more information, please contact:
Associate Professor, Public Policy and Management
Phone: (207) 780-4863
Students complete 12 credits of study, including a required three-credit course and nine credits of elective coursework, selected from a list of approved courses. This certificate can be completed entirely over the web.
Select an additional nine credits from the following:
- AMS 535 Introduction to Epidemiological Research (3 credits)
- AMS 545 Applied Biostatistical Analysis (3 credits)
- AMS 677 Regression Analysis in the Health Sciences (3 credits)
- CPD 625 Community Planning Analysis and Land Use Modeling (3 credits)
- CPD 622 Introduction to Arc/GIS (3 credits)
- PPM 503C Applied Cost-Benefit Analysis (1 credit)
- PPM 503H Graphing Data (1 credit)
- PPM 511 Economics Business Data and Management (3 credits)
- PPM 531 Practical Performance Measurement (3 credits)
- PPM 602 Research Design (3 credits)
- PPM 603 Applied Research Methods modules (1 credit each)
- PPM 604 Evaluation Methods (3 credits)
- PPM 606 Survey Methods and Design (3 credits)
Visit the USM Graduate Admissions site for information on the graduate certificate program application process.
Questions about applying? Contact the Muskie School Student Affairs Office at (207) 780-4864 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Questions about the certificate? Contact ProfessorJosie LaPlante at email@example.com or (207) 780-4863.
"Changing Times: Shifting Rural Landscapes," article in Vermont Journal of Environmental Law (authors: Mark Lapping, Sandra Guay)
"Creating Quality Improvement Culture in Public Health Agencies," article in American Journal of Public Health (co-author: Brenda Joly)