Certificate of Graduate Study in Social Policy Analysis
The Certificate of Graduate Study in Social Policy Analysis is designed for social service professionals, children's advocates, teachers, justice system personnel, union and community organizers, policy analysts, policy makers, political activists, planners, and others seeking a better understanding of the intersections between economics, social justice theory, and social policy analysis.
Social policy analysis uses the tools and analytic methods of public policy analysis to evaluate policy options for solving social problems, such as:
- Hunger and disease
- Unemployment and under-employment
- Delinquency and crime
In addition to addressing questions of economic efficiency and social justice, certificate courses also examine the impact broader social, economic, and political forces have upon various groups, particularly disadvantaged and at-risk populations.
The certificate is a stand-alone credential, or the credits can also be transferred into Muskie's Public Policy & Management master's degree program.
To apply, contact USM Graduate Admissions or visit the Certificate of Graduate Study website
For More Information
For more information, please contact:
Assistant Research Professor, Public Policy and Management
Phone: (207) 780-5786
Student Affairs Office
To be eligible for application to the certificate program, applicants must hold a bachelor's degree and have completed at least an introductory-level microeconomics course (or equivalent). Most of the certificate courses assume a basic understanding of microeconomics. If you have questions regarding the microeconomics requirement, please contact Dr. Lisa Morris at email@example.com or (207) 780-5876.
Select two additional courses from the following:
- PPM 524 Gender and Race, Politics and Policy
- PPM 526 Children and Public Policy or PPM 527 Child and Family Policy and Law
- PPM 611 Economics and Public Policy
- PPM 620 Introduction to Policy Analysis
- PPM 622 Applied Policy Analysis
- MPH 525 American Health System
- MPH 660 Public Health Policy
- MPH 565 Social and Behavioral Health
- CPD 602 Sustainable Communities
- CPD 674 Social Equity and Sustainability Planning
- CPD 672 Food Systems Planning and Policy
- CPD 652 Intro to Community Development or PPM 652 Community Economic Development