Description of the Preceptor Experience
Crucial to the success of the preceptorship program at the School of Nursing is the availability and accessibility of the nursing faculty to the participating agencies and preceptors. Every effort will be made to ensure that the experience is fruitful and positive for those involved. The faculty will facilitate the success of the preceptorship through the following activities:
- Communicating clear guidelines and expectations between student, preceptor and faculty. A collaborative process will be carried out regarding specific student experiences and evaluation criteria.
- Maintaining frequent telephone contact with the preceptors and they in turn are encouraged to contact faculty as often as necessary.
- Visiting clinical site by faculty. The frequency of these visits will be determined by the needs of the student and the preceptor. Distance, time and scheduling of the faculty and the preceptor will be taken into account.
- Other methods of communication and support will be used as needed, such as facsimile or e-mail.
Qualifications and Characteristics of the Preceptor
- Current licensure as a Registered Nurse in the State of Maine,
- A minimum of two years full-time nursing experience.
- Voluntary participation as a preceptor in the student practicum experience.
- Demonstrated ability to give balanced, constructive feedback.
- Demonstrated knowledge of teaching and learning process (Experience may be in either client or staff education).
- Recognized enjoyment of teaching, willingness to function in the educator role, and support for the preceptorship concept.