Your Online Program, Your Way
We know what it’s like to juggle the demands of school, work and family. We’re here to provide the online support you need to stay on track. Take advantage of online advising, tutoring, orientation, course registration, technical support, and other services that that can help you reach your goals.
The resources below are listed in alphabetical order:
- Advising – As an online student, you'll have the advising support you need to be successful. You will be assigned both a faculty advisor and a professional academic advisor to help you from day one through graduation.
- Blackboard Information and Support – Blackboard is an online software tool that your instructor will use to teach all or part of your course online. We understand that learning new technology can sometime be challenging. That’s why we’ve provided basic tutorials and support.
- Bookstore – The Bookstore carries all textbooks and course materials for USM classes. Students can rent or order textbooks online through the USM Bookstore website.
- Community Engagement and Career Development – Our office provides information about internships and other opportunities to gain experience in the field. Explore career directions, develop global citizenship skills, and give back to the community.
- Course Registration – Course search and registration is completed online using your Maine Street Student Center. New students are registered for their first semester’s coursework during all-university or individual Orientation. Continuing students are assigned specific dates and times by which they can begin registering for courses each semester.
- How to Succeed in an Online Course (PDF - 122kb) – These valuable tips will help you understand what to expect from your online courses and how to best set yourself up for success.
- Learning Commons – The Learning Commons at USM libraries are active, collaborative spaces where you can work with reference librarians, tutors, faculty and other students to achieve your academic goals.
- Libraries- The USM Libraries provide collections, services, facilities, equipment and programs in support of the highest possible levels of University learning, research and public service. Its services are designed to meet the information needs of students wherever the needed resources reside.
- MaineStreet – USM uses MaineStreet as a student registration and records system. Because learning new technology can be challenging, we have provided you with basic tutorials on topics such as searching for courses, registering, paying your bill online, and viewing your grades.
- MyUSM Portal Login – This is your one-stop online portal for accessing email, Blackboard, MaineStreet, Google Drive, and much more on your computer or mobile device.
- Orientation to USM – We encourage new online students to attend an orientation session to become familiar with the systems, processes, and program curriculum. Group orientations are offered periodically throughout the year. Or, you may choose to schedule an individual orientation with your professional advisor, in person or over the phone. To schedule an individual orientation, please contact email@example.com.
- Prior Learning Assessment – Gain academic credit for skills and knowledge you have acquired on the job, during military service, or through community engagement.
- Program Completion and Graduation – There is an all-university commencement ceremony held once a year in May. However, USM confers degrees three times a year (December, May, and August). Online students who are completing their degree program(s) must apply to graduate during their final semester of schoolwork. If you are completing an online certificate, please contact your professional advisor for the certificate completion request form.
- Student ID Cards – The official student ID card for the University of Southern Maine gives you access to our gyms, library services, and numerous discounts around the southern Maine community. Cards can be picked up on campus or mailed directly to your home address.
- Technology Support – Contact the USM Computing HelpDesk for help with problems connecting with MaineStreet or Blackboard, email, viruses, security issues, or other related topics.
- Tuition Payment and Student Financial Services – Student Financial Services offers the information and services you need to help finance your USM education and manage your account.