Office of Research Integrity and Outreach

IACUC Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions


  1. What is the IACUC and what do they do?

    1. IACUC stands for the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee.
    2. The IACUC is a standing committee at USM that oversees the ethical and appropriate care, treatment and use of laboratory and research animals.
  2. I am applying for IACUC approval for the first time, what forms do I need to fill out?

    1. You will need to fill out and submit an Animal Study Proposal Form plus any supporting documentation that is asked for or is required for the completion of your research.
  3. Where or to whom should I submit my forms?

    1. You should submit all materials and questions to the Office of Research Integrity and Outreach (ORIO) in hard-copy form AND electronic format.  Please send the electronic copy by email to The hard-copy can be hand delivered or mailed to the ORIO office at 15 Baxter Blvd., Portland, ME 04101.
  4. For how long is IACUC approval valid?

    1. One year (365 day approval).  The mandatory schedule for annual review of any IACUC project is in the following order:
    • New Submission
    • 1st Year Progress Report (Due 1 month prior to expiration)
    • 2nd Year Progress Report (Due 1 month prior to expiration)
    • 3rd Year Progress Report AND a  De Novo Review Form (Due 1 month prior to expiration)
  5. What should I do if my project is going to last longer than my approval period?

    1. You will need to submit an IACUC Progress Report at least 30 days prior to the expiration of the protocol’s approval period.
  6. What should I do when my research project is finished?

    1. You will need to file an IACUC Study Completion Form and submit it by email to
  7. Where may I go to get more information about the appropriate care and treatment of research animals?

    1. Contact the Animal Facility Manager
    2. Contact the Chair of the IACUC
    3. Contact the Office of Research Integrity
    4. Go to the following website: Office of Laboratory Animal Welfare
  8. What do I need to do if my research includes the use of biological agents?

    1. If your research involves biological agents that are potentially harmful to people, use rDNA, may be airborne transmitted to other animals, or is classified as a "select agent", you will need Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC) approval prior to receiving IACUC approval. You may file both applications at the same time.
  9. What is a transgenic animal?

    1. A transgenic animal is any animal that has, or will have, a man-made alteration (induced mutation) to its genetic code. These animals are typically developed in order to study the over-expression or under-expression of a specific gene. Transgenic animals typically do not include animals that have spontaneous or naturally (non-research based) occurring mutations.
    2. If your research involves transgenice animals you will need IBC approval prior to receiving IACUC approval.  You may file both applications at the same time.

Responsible Conduct in Research (RCR) bi-annual in-person training

Friday, November 6th, 7 Chamberlain Ave, Portland Campus  REGISTER

USM conducts a mandatory Responsible Conduct of Research (RCR) in-person training twice a year. National Institute of Health (NIH) and National Science Foundation (NSF) grantpersonnel must attend one of these training sessions every four years.

Learn More