- Recruitment Material Guidance (pdf)
- Informed Consent Guidance (Consent Templates Included Here)
- Informed Consent Checklist - Basic and Additional Elements (external link)
- Adult Consent Form Template (doc)
- Adult Waiver of Documentation of Consent Form Template (doc)
- Consent Form for an Anonymous Survey Template (doc)
- Program for Readability in Science and Medicine (PRISM) (external link)
- Program for Readability in Science and Medicine (PRISM) Toolkit (pdf-external link)
- OHRP: General Informed Consent Requirements video
- Child Assent/Parental Permission Guidance (Parental Permission Template Included Here)
- Child Assent/Parental Permission Guidance (pdf)
- Parental Permission Form Template (doc)
- Research Involving People with Intellectual Disabilities (pdf)
- The Role and Responsibilities of the Faculty Advisor (pdf)
- Dissertation Checklist (pdf)
- International Research (external link)
HRPP Policies and Procedures
- The University of Southern Maine Policies, Procedures and Guidance For Human Subjects Research (pdf)
- Student Classroom Project's Standard Operating Procedures (pdf)
- Protocol Violation Standard Operating Procedures (pdf)
- NonCompliance Standard Operating Procedures (pdf)
- Expired IRB Protocols (pdf)
- Departing Primary Investigator (PI) Standard Operating Procedures (pdf)
- External Investigator Recruitment (pdf)
- University of Maine System and University of Southern Maine HIPAA Policies (external link)
- Exemption to UMS W-9 Policy (pdf)
- University of Maine System Institutional Review Policy – IRB Review of UMS Cooperative Research (external link)
- Information Security Policies & Standards
University of Maine System Information Security Policy & Standards
- University of Maine Information Security Policy & Standards (external link)
- Data Security Standards for Business Sensitive Data Obtained for Research Purposes (pdf)
- Data Security Standards for Compliant Data Obtained for Research Purposes (pdf)
- Administrative Practice: University of Maine Employee Protection of Data (pdf)
- University of Southern Maine and Maine Department of Human Services: MOVEit File Transfer Protocol (pdf)
- Encrypt Microsoft Office documents (pdf)
Sensitive Information / Special Subject Populations
Categories of Sensitive Information
Information relating to sexual attitudes, preferences, or practices.
Information relating to the use of alcohol, drugs, or other addictive products.
Information pertaining to illegal conduct.
Information that, if released, could reasonably damage an individual's financial standing, employability, or reputation within the community.
Information that would normally be recorded in a patient's medical record and the disclosure of which could reasonably lead to social stigmatization or discrimination.
Information pertaining to an individual's psychological well-being or mental health.
Special Subject Populations
Minors (under 18 years of age). Please contact the Office of Research Integrity and Outreach.
Fetuses or products of labor and delivery
Pregnant women (in studies that may influence maternal health)
Individuals with a diminished capacity to give informed consent
· Office for Human Research Protections (OHRP) (external link)
· Program for Readability in Science and Medicine (PRISM) (external link)
· Understanding the HIPPA Privacy Rule (external link)