How to Apply to MOT
Applications for the MOT program are due by October 1st each year. Applications received after that date will be reviewed at the discretion of the faculty.
If you completed the MOT admissions process last year and were either denied or waitlisted - you may reapply to be considered in the latest admissions cycle. Please send in updated transcripts and any new materials you wish to be considered in your packet.
International Students - Please click here to establish your eligibility.
Required Materials for Applying
1. Complete the online graduate application, along with the $65 application fee
2. A two to three page essay that introduces yourself, describes why you are interested in Occupational Therapy, and outlines the strengths and experiences you bring to the Occupational Therapy profession
3. Transcripts from all institutions previously attended. (Must demonstrate completion of a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited college or university and meet all prerequisite course requirements. If you need to confirm the accreditation status of an institution, you may search at Council for Higher Education Accreditation site).
- Transcripts must show proof of completion of required MOT prerequisite courses. Prerequisite courses do not need to be fully completed prior to applying, but must be completed prior to beginning the program if accepted full time.
- GRE scores are not required by the MOT program
4. A cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.2 (or higher) on a 4.0 scale is required. (If you have a graduate degree, your graduate cumulative GPA will be used). If your cumulative GPA is not 3.2 or better, your acceptance is unlikely due to the volume of applicants who exceed the 3.2 GPA minimum.
5. A current resume
6. Three letters of recommendation that speak to your character, work ethic/professionalism and problem solving abilities. As part of the online process, applicants will be prompted for the names and email addresses of three recommenders. Each person will receive an electronic recommendation form to complete directly from the university. Recommendations must be received either directly from the recommender electronically or mailed/submitted in sealed envelopes with the recommender's signature over the seal.
Send all application materials to the following address:
Application Processing Center
University of Maine System
P.O. Box 412
Bangor, ME 04402-0412
Electronic transcripts and application materials can be emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Job shadowing is not required but is highly recommended for every student. If job shadowing is completed, it must be with an occupational therapy practitioner in one or more settings and must be documented using the Job Shadow Evaluation Form. It is the applicant's responsibility to make arrangements for this experience at one or multiple facilities. Please send completed forms to email@example.com
- Completion of the application requirements does not guarantee admission into the program. Admission is based on a comparative evaluation of the applicants’ materials to determine eligibility for an interview.
- MOT candidates who complete an application by the deadline AND who have met the minimum GPA requirements will be invited for an individual and group interview. The interview process is the final admissions requirement and is by invitation only. Alternative interviews can be arranged for those who cannot physically come to campus for an interview. Applicants can expect a decision by mid December.
Information for Admitted Students
Financial Aid & Scholarships
If you are applying for financial aid, your financial aid form (FAFSA) should be mailed by February 1 to ensure the best possible financial aid package. Applicants should complete the FAFSA online at www.fafsa.ed.gov. The University of Southern Maine’s Federal ID Code is 009762. Contact Student Financial Aid directly with any questions or concerns.
Search to see which scholarships you qualify for.
For further information or problems with this page, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.