Reducing costs and improving quality of care are the hallmarks of the health care delivery model known as case management. This certificate program provides a comprehensive discussion of components of case management in any health care setting and promotes the development of case management best practices. Case studies will illustrate the material discussed each day. In this certificate program, participants will:
- Explore the integrated case manager role, including managing care, discharge planning, utilization and customer service
- Develop data management reports that reflect the outcomes of your case management practice
- Apply various patient/payer reimbursement structures that will assist in acquiring optimal financial outcomes
- Discuss regulatory agency requirements that affect a case manager's practice
- Review and develop critical pathways for both generic and specialty based practice
- Apply "real" case management strategies to your practice
The instructor provides career counseling related to case management and the program is beneficial in preparing for the case management certification exam.
Day One: Case Management Basic Elements
- History and role of the case manager
- Multidisciplinary collaborative practice
- The physician as advocate
- Length of stay and extended stay management
- A career in case management
Day Two: Outcomes Management: Critical Thinking and Critical Pathway Development
- Critical thinking concepts for everyday practice
- Description, development, and critical pathway implementation strategies
- Variance/exception analysis
- Alternatives to using a critical pathway
Day Three: Discharge Planning: Role and Departmental Integration
- Integration and other models
- Levels of care
- Referral service
- Process of discharge
Day Four: Utilization Management
- Reimbursement systems
- Utilization process
- Building relationships with payers
- Working toward zero denial rate
This certificate program is offered during the fall semester only. The fall semester begins in September and runs through December. All fall courses post to our website in June.
- Fall 2014
- Certificate Program in Case Management- 10/17-12/12
To stay up-to-date on course offerings, sign up for our Professional & Continuing Education Newsletter.
$625 (Includes all course materials)
- Refund policy:
- 100% refund if you withdraw from a class five or more business days before the class starts.
- A course voucher for 50% of the course fee if you withdraw four or fewer business days from the start date.
- There are no refunds once a class begins.
- WIA Approved: This program is also eligible for funding under the Workforce Investment Act (WIA) through the Maine CareerCenters. For more information visit: mainecareercenter.com/employment/training-adults
Learn more about our other approved certificate programs.
24 contact hours/2.4 CEUs
- June Stark, RN, BS., M.Ed., is director of case management, quality support services at Tufts Medical Center in Boston, and an associate consultant for The Center of Case Management in Natick, Massachusetts.