This certificate program provides you the opportunity to acquire the knowledge and develop the skills to support a variety of development activities and establish a well-rounded foundation for your professional or volunteer fundraising.
You will learn skills critical to successful nonprofit development such as relationship building and "making the ask" for the right reason at the right time, and prospect identification combined with the understanding of what motivates donors to give.
The program is anchored by four required courses and one elective that you can select to meet your particular training needs.
Required Courses: (36 total hours)
- Fundraising Fundamentals (12 hours)
- The Annual Fund (6 hours)
- Major Gifts (6 hours)
- Introduction to Planned Giving (12 hours)
Elective course: (6 total minimum hours) Choose from any Professional Development Course. Browse Additional Elective Options.
In addition to our regular elective options, we offer unique fundraising related courses. These are not required, but are designed to best compliment the required courses for this certificate program. View schedule below for currently offered options.
The required courses of this certificate program are offered during the spring semesters only. Spring course schedules will be available in November.
All spring courses post to our website in November. To stay up-to-date on course offerings, sign up for our Professional & Continuing Education Newsletter.
42 total contact hours/4.2 CEUs
Total cost of required courses is $940 – includes all course materials. Elective course fees vary.
Participants register and pay per course.
- Refund policy:
- 100% refund if you withdraw from a class five or more business days before the class starts.
- A course voucher for 50% of the course fee if you withdraw four or fewer business days from the start date.
- There are no refunds once a class begins.
- WIA Approved: This program is also eligible for funding under the Workforce Investment Act (WIA) through the Maine CareerCenters. For more information visit: mainecareercenter.com/employment/training-adults
Learn more about our other approved certificate programs.
Track the progress of your certificate program with this form.
Each course within this certificate program is taught by industry professionals. Click on the course descriptions above to view instructor biographies.
After you have met all certificate program requirements, complete the certificate completion form, and we will award your certificate.
An information source about nonprofits that includes 990 tax returns, available for review at no cost. This is an excellent resource for research foundation giving.
Idealware, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit, provides thoroughly researched, impartial and accessible resources about software to help nonprofits make smart software decisions. In 2011, they published A Consumer’s Guide to Low Cost Donor Management Systems.
- Maine Philanthropy Center
The Maine Philanthropy Center offers grant seekers educational programs, access to online resources, the Directory of Maine Grantmakers, and is a resource center for philanthropy. Nonprofit organizations and those seeking grants utilize Maine Philanthropy Center to:
- Identify potential sources of grants matching their programmatic, geographic, and population focus;
- Research local and national foundations, corporate giving programs, and community funders;
- Gain free access to materials on all aspects of philanthropy and nonprofit management, including fundraising, board development, and proposal writing.
- Network for Good
http://www1.networkforgood.org/ (general website)
www.fundraising123.org/ (nonprofit learning center)
Network for Good makes it as easy to donate and volunteer online as it is to shop online, and we make it simple and affordable for all nonprofits, of any size, to recruit donors and volunteers via the Internet. They also have a terrific Learning Center with helpful articles on a wide range of fundraising topics.