This certificate program provides supervisors and managers with practical skills for the day-to-day responsibilities of managing staff. Topics include techniques for communicating expectations to employees, giving performance feedback, and getting your own job done while leading others. This program is designed for entry- to mid-level supervisors and managers, small business owners, technical staff, and individuals interested in leadership roles.
Required courses: (30 total hours)
Participants are strongly encouraged to complete Using Feedback Effectively prior to enrolling in Coaching to Enhance Performance and Dealing with Poor Performance.
- Stepping Up to Supervisor (6 hours)
- Using Feedback Effectively (6 hours)
- Delegating: Accomplishing Results Through Others (6 hours)
- Coaching to Enhance Performance (6 hours)
- Dealing with Poor Performance (6 hours)
Elective (6 total hours): choose any Professional Development Program. Browse our courses.
This certificate program is offered during both the fall and spring semesters.
- Fall 2014
To stay up-to-date on course offerings, sign up for our Professional & Continuing Education Newsletter.
36 total contact hours / 3.6 CEUs
Total cost of required courses is $975 – includes all course materials. Elective course fees vary. Participants register and pay per course.
- Refund policy:
- 100% refund if you withdraw from a class five or more business days before the class starts.
- A course voucher for 50% of the course fee if you withdraw four or fewer business days from the start date.
- There are no refunds once a class begins.
- WIA Approved: This program is also eligible for funding under the Workforce Investment Act (WIA) through the Maine CareerCenters. For more information visit: mainecareercenter.com/employment/training-adults
Learn more about our other approved certificate programs.
Track the progress of your certificate program with this form.
After you have met all certificate program requirements, complete the certificate completion form, and we will award your certificate.
- Lynne Richards, M.B.A., www.leadinggenerations.com, is a member of the National Speaker's Association, and author and founder of Leading Generations, a training and leadership development firm. Lynne specializes in helping people develop their leadership and presentation skills. With over 20 years of experience in management and training, she brings a wealth of practical experience to the classroom.
Joe Walsh - Owner, Green Clean Maine
After seven years of wandering geographically and career wise, Joe Walsh started his Green Clean Maine business in 2007 with sweat equity and an old Volvo station wagon. He now employs 20 people and the business is growing 50 percent a year. “I went from zero to 16 people in four years,” he noted. “I realized that our management challenges had become more complex and I needed help getting answers.” Read More.
Sandi Potter is a persistent person, determined to have a management career. Over the years she has handled as many as three jobs at once, while periodically taking college courses and continuing education workshops. The search for a better life always included a conviction that education must be part of it, and there has been a lot of that along with the search for meaningful employment. Read More.