This certificate program in training and development provides an in-depth and comprehensive introduction to the role of the trainer and the opportunity to learn and practice the fundamental skills and processes involved in training others. The curriculum has recently been updated to include online instruction.
Individuals who will find the program beneficial to their career preparation and advancement include:
- New trainers and individuals with expanded training responsibilities
- Current trainers who want to supplement their on-the-job training
- Professionals seeking to transition into the field of training
- Content experts whose responsibilities include training
- Consultants who want to add training to their set of skills
The program consists of five core courses and a six-hour elective that allows participants to customize the curriculum to meet their career and organizational needs.
Required Courses: (64 total hours)
- Designing for Effective Learning (12 hours)
- Conducting Reliable Needs Assessments (12 hours)
- Training Facilitation (16 hours)
- Evaluation of Training (12 hours)
- Best Practices In Online Instruction (12 hours)
Electives: (6 total minimum hours) Select any course from our professional development program offerings. Browse a full list of current offerings.
This certificate program is offered during the spring semester.
70 total contact hours/7.0 CEUs.
Total cost of required courses is $1,565 – includes all course materials. Elective course fees vary. Participants register and pay per course.
- Refund policy:
- 100% refund if you withdraw from a class five or more business days before the class starts.
- A course voucher for 50% of the course fee if you withdraw four or fewer business days from the start date.
- There are no refunds once a class begins.
- GI Bill Benefits: This program is currently approved for use of GI Bill Benefits. To use your U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Benefits, please contact USM Veterans Services at firstname.lastname@example.org / 207-780-4826 after you have registered for the certificate program. You can register online, over the phone, or in person.
Learn more about our other approved veteran certificate programs.
- WIA Approved: his program is also eligible for funding under the Workforce Investment Act (WIA) through the Maine CareerCenters. For more information visit: mainecareercenter.com/employment/training-adults
Learn more about our other approved WIA certificate programs.
Track the progress of your certificate program with this form.
Each course within this certificate program is taught by industry professionals. Click on the course descriptions above to view instructor biographies.
After you have met all certificate program requirements, complete the certificate completion form, and we will award your certificate.
- Maine Chapter of American Society of Training and Development (Maine ASTD)
Maine ASTD – http://www.maineastd.org/
The Maine Chapter of ASTD (American Society for Training and Development) is a non-profit organization for those professionals actively engaged in or interested in the fields of training and development.
- American Society of Training and Development (ASTD)
ASTD - http://www.astd.org/
The world's largest professional association dedicated to the training and development field.
Kelli Fox - Training Institute Director, Sweetser
“Now I have a much better grasp of the difference between teaching for content, as in grad school, and training for skill development. All my career as an educator, I was a subject-matter expert. Now I’ve learned how to also include people in the process. They walk away with skills as well as knowledge. I’m more of a facilitator than just an educator.” Read More.
Melissa Suey - Training and Development Manager, Delhaize America
Keynote speaker Melissa Suey looked out over her audience and asked a question: How many people had tuition reimbursement available for training? About three-quarters raised their hands. She asked a second question: How many were currently using the benefit? Three. Read More.