Most of us spend nearly all of our working hours communicating with others. Whether we are instructing a staff member on how to complete a project, brainstorming ideas with colleagues, giving a formal sales presentation, writing an e-mail or business letter, or meeting customers' needs, effective communication skills are essential to our professional success and satisfaction.
This certificate program allows individuals to develop the confidence and clarity in communication to complement their professional skills and support their career growth.
Through presentation, discussions, and exercises, you will explore the theory and practice of effective workplace communication.
Required courses: (36 total hours)
Bring examples from your workplace to each session
- Skillful Conversations (12 hours)
- Leading Effective Meetings (6 hours)
- Delivering Powerful Presentations (12 hours)
- Professional Writing Workshop (6 hours)
Elective Course: Participants choose one elective course (6 total hours) from the Professional Development Programs. Browse our courses.
This certificate program is offered during both the fall and spring semesters.
- Fall 2014
To stay up-to-date on course offerings, sign up for our Professional & Continuing Education Newsletter.
42 total contact hours / 4.2 CEUs
Total cost of required courses is $1,040 – includes all course materials. Elective course fees vary. Participants register and pay per course.
- Refund policy:
- 100% refund if you withdraw from a class five or more business days before the class starts.
- A course voucher for 50% of the course fee if you withdraw four or fewer business days from the start date.
- There are no refunds once a class begins.
- WIA Approved: This program is also eligible for funding under the Workforce Investment Act (WIA) through the Maine CareerCenters. For more information visit: mainecareercenter.com/employment/training-adults
Learn more about our other approved certificate programs.
Track the progress of your certificate program with this form.
- Nancy Ansheles, M.Ed., has been the owner of Catalyst & Co. for 17 years. She provides creative learning programs for businesses and organizations in Maine, the United States, and internationally. She facilitates learning to help participants achieve results, increase satisfaction, and reduce stress. She brings energy, humor, and a wealth of real life examples to every workshop.
- Elizabeth Dodge, M.F.A., is a freelance writer, editor, and trainer in Portland. She has more than 20 years of experience in technical writing, marketing communications, public relations, and publishing. She has been teaching and tutoring for more than 15 years, sharing her passion for writing with a coaching style that is sensitive to the personal nature of writing.
After you have met all certificate program requirements, complete the certificate completion form, and we will award your certificate.
Sharoo Wengland - Staff Associate, Office of the President, USM
You could say that taking turns driving an 18-wheeler day and night across North America was part of Sharoo Wengland’s pursuit of her lifelong dream. But it was a small part. Sharoo’s big vision was to rise above the poverty she and her small family – Sharoo, her little sister and her mother – struggled with. Read More.