WHAT IS "CLEP"?
CLEP® examinations are standardized tests created by CollegeBoard™ which cover material taught in courses that most students take as basic foundations for their college degrees. USM faculty have reviewed these exams to ensure they cover subject matter adequate for these courses, and have recommended credit and passing scores for these exams. Follow this link to see the CLEP exams given at USM. PLEASE DO NOT REGISTER FOR YOUR EXAMS ON THE CLEP WEBSITE. Follow this link to read exam descriptions at the CLEP website. PLEASE DO NOT REGISTER FOR YOUR EXAMS ON THE CLEP WEBSITE.
College Composition Modular
If you seek to take an equivalency for ENG 100 at USM, PLA offers only the College Composition Modular, which is a 90-minute multiple choice exam. USM does not offer the essay format of this exam and the previous CLEP® English Composition has been discontinued. PLEASE DO NOT REGISTER FOR YOUR EXAMS ON THE CLEP WEBSITE.
The CLEP® exams given at USM are listed below, along with their equivalent credits, and minimum test scores to achieve these credits only for USM.
Please contact the college or university to which you wish to have your CLEP scores sent to learn their minimum cut-off scores and course equivalents.
- CLEP tests and equivalencies for USM students matriculating Fall 2011 and thereafter
- CLEP tests and equivalencies for USM students matriculated prior to Fall 2011
- CLEP tests and equivalencies for USM students at Lewiston-Auburn College
Register for a CLEP®
USM is an open testing site, which means registration is not restricted to only USM students. In order to take the CLEP® test at USM, students or the general public should register for any one of the thirty-three CLEP® exams directly with Kate Mitchell in 100 Payson Smith Hall on the Portland Campus.
Registration Procedures for the CLEP® Exams at USM
PLEASE NOTE THAT THE CLEP EXAM DATE IS CHANGED IN JANUARY 2014 TO: TUESDAY, JANUARY 7th, SAME TIMES, SAME LOCATION.
- View a current schedule of exams.
- Register by downloading the two forms here.
- Submit printed copies of the above two registration forms, along with a check for $125 at the time of registration to: Kate Mitchell, Prior Learning Assessment, 100 Payson Smith Hall, USM, Portland, Maine 04104-9300.
- NOTE: PLA does not accept either faxed or e-mailed forms.
- NOTE ALSO: All changes made on either CLEP® registration form must be made in your own writing on a newly submitted form.
- Please be aware: Any examination may be repeated six months or more after you last took it. Scores on tests repeated earlier than six months will be cancelled by CLEP and all fees will be forfeited.
- Contact Kate Mitchell at email@example.com or (207) 780-4663 with your questions and concerns.
- View the CLEP® exam policies at USM.
- Reschedule your CLEP® exam by completing the rescheduling form and submitting it with a fee of $35 to Kate Mitchell, 100 Payson Smith Hall, Portland Campus. Remember to please reschedule prior to a week before the actual scheduled exam date (see policies).
Active Duty Military
Active duty military are charged only the service fee of $45, if you present your active duty military card for verification at the time of registration.
Request an Official Score Transcript
For test scores to be posted on your USM transcript, USM requires an official score transcript sent directly from the parent testing company (ETS) to USM. If you have taken the CLEP® at another insitutution, either call 800-257-9558, fax (609) 771-7088, or visit the CLEP website at: http://www.collegeboard.org/clep to request an official CLEP® score transcript.
Be sure to request that your score transcript be sent to school code #3691 (USM), in care of:
Joyce Lapping, Director, Office for Prior Learning Assessment, University of Southern Maine, 100E Payson Smith Hall, 96 Falmouth Street, Portland, Maine 04104-9300.
Post Your CLEP® scores on your USM transcript
You will need to complete the PLA/CLEP® Posting Fee form and submit it with your payment ($15 per exam score transcript).
NOTE: PLA does not accept either faxed or e-mailed forms.
Study for the CLEP®
The CLEP Official website offers study materials beyond the college texts that you might use for exam preparation. If you are taking just one CLEP exam, it may be more advantageous to purchase one of the Individual Subject Guides ($10) in downloadable electronic format instead of the Comprehensive CLEP Official Study Guide ($24.95) both of which are available. In these guides CLEP® offers you an outline of the test, sample questions and answers, and general tips for preparing for the CLEP exams.
PLA also keeps copies of the current CLEP® Official Study Guide for your use on the premises in 240 Luther Bonney Hall, Portland Campus.