"MID WINTER'S EVE AT STONEHENGE."
Sunday, December 20, 2015
at the Southworth Planetarium
Admission by donation (Suggested - $5.00)
Twice a year, we offer a Stonehenge program. "Mid Summer's Eve at Stonehenge," and "Mid Winter's Eve at Stonehenge." We started these Stonehenge lectures in 2008 and they have proven to be the most consistently popular of all our live presentations. As we prepare for the Winter Solstice, we embark on a tour of Stonehenge, arguably the world's best known megalithic structure. Work on it started more than four thousand years ago and required two millennium to complete. Yet, we know precious little about those who built it. They devoted considerable time and expense to its design and construction: generations of people whose lives centered on a structure they never lived to see completed. What was its purpose? How did they build it with such heavy stones, many of which were quarried more than a hundred kilometers from the Stonehenge site on Salisbury Plain. Was it religious? Astronomical? Both...or neither?
Experience the deep mysteries of Stonehenge with the Southworth Planetarium
Southworth Science Lecture Series 2015-2016: 'What's in Portlander's Trash?" Thursday, November 19, 2015 at 7:00 p.m.
- Admission Prices
- November 2015 Planetarium Show Schedule
- December 2015 Planetarium Show Schedule
Rainy Day? Sunny Day? See a show! We allow same-day group show reservations. Call today and see a show today!
- Birthday Parties at the Planetarium!
- Planetarium Outreach Events
- Planetarium Courses
- Day Courses
- Carolyn Currie Concert Saturday, December 5, 2015
- The Astronomy Cafe
- Ask the Staff Astronomer!
- Night Sky Glossary
- The Stone Circle Society
- Planetarium Membership Program
- DAILY ASTRONOMER IMAGE PAGE
- Daily Astronomer Quiz Archive Page
- Mid Winter's Eve at Stonehenge
- Astro-Photo Gallery
- The Math Zone!
- Fly-by Astrophysics
- Astronomical Research Initiative