Frequently asked questions
1. I would just like to take a class, what should I do?
If you have never taken classes at USM please contact us at 207-780-5230, 207-780-5541 or 1-800-800-4usm ext. 5541. We will input your information on our computer system which will allow you to register for classes during the open registration period.
Students, while not required to apply for admission, may take a class at USM. Students may register for a class if the class has not been filled.
2. How would I go about registering for a class?
How to Register for a Course
- By phone: call USM Professional and Continuing Education at 207-780-5900 or 1-800-787-0468 (for undergraduate and graduate courses).
- In person. Stop by one of the USM Student Success Centers at:
- Professional and Continuing Education, 218 Abromson Center, Portland
- 119 Payson Smith Hall, Portland
- 119 Bailey Hall, Gorham
- Room 119, Lewiston-Auburn College
- Grad Students: Graduate Admissions, 39 Exeter Street on the Portland campus, or at Professional and Continuing Education, 218 Abromson Center on the Portland campus
3. What classes are offered at USM?
You can search for a class from the comfort of your home at USM’s course search on MaineStreet.
4. What if I have questions on what classes I can take at USM?
Academic advising is available with the Advising Office, please call (207) 780-4040, 1-800-800-4USM ext. 4040.
5. When can I register for a class?
Open registration begins in August for Fall and November for Spring. For further instructions click on the website below.
6. I’ve completed my classes, how do I find my grades?
You can view your grades by logging on to MaineStreet, then clicking on Student Self-Service, then Student Center, then under Academics, select Grades.
7. I received my grades, but what is an “MG”?
An “MG” is a missing grade which happens when the instructor has not submitted grades for the class. Once the instructor submits the grade sheet, your record will be updated to reflect the final grade.